Dead AX!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rich
My Cars:

Dead AX!

Post by Rich »

Hello everyone,
Great to have everything back to normal![:D][:D][^] Anyway, i have a problem with an AX Debut 1 litre. It has been standing for 5 months and it is refusing to start; i have checked the obvious things and some of the not so obvious and it will not play.[xx(] But i think i have maybe found the reason for this; i can't seem to get a spark at the plugs. I have tried a new coil pack but it has not made any difference, now i don't know where to go from here. Has anyone else had the same problem? Any suggestions will be most appreciated. I would really hate to have to set fire to a Citroen!![:D][:o)]
Thanks everyone, keep it Citroen.[:D][^]
Rich, (Xantia HDi Exclusive)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

[Quote/]
"I would really hate to have to set fire to a Citroen!!"
Looks like we'd better come up with some suggestions then hey!![:0]
Don't know the AX motor so don't shoot the piano player if I'm way off the mark;
I once got caught in a similar position that turned out to be a broken cambelt. The reason being in the case I am referring to, the distributor was driven off the camshaft; reckon we didn't have problems finding that one. This can happen often after a lay up due to mice, deterioration or a belt taking shape of the cogs it's sat on for a few months & the seam or joint in the belt just letting go as soon as it's turned.[:I]
Internal breaks in HT leads are often another cause hard to detect.
Alan S
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Do these have an electronic ignition module glued to the top of the coil assembly? Some larger-engined petrol BXs have this , and failure results in a car which won't start at all - I've been there. Failures seem to occur from 60k miles on - and also some problems may occur if the car has got damp under the bonnet and moisture has got underneath the module. I've heard that re-seating the module can help here.
I may be way off the mark though....
David
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

is it an injection model ? if so check that the white 3 pin connector under the ECU has'nt burnt out.if thats ok my money would be on the TDC sensor at the flywheel.(thats all provided its an injection model)
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hello gents,
Thanks for the input! [:D]Some excellent stuff there, Alan S has a good point; it did sound strange turning over on the starter.[xx(][V][:I] As wheeler asked, yes, it is the single point injection model, Bosch Monopoint. You have all come up with some great stuff so i will take another look, probably at the weekend (work and other boring stuff until then!![V]) I will let you know my findings so it will help others. Take care everyone and keep it Citroen.[^][:D]
Cheers, Rich. Xantia Exclusive HDi.
P.S. About setting fire to a Citroen.........Don't worry, just kidding, i could never do that![:D]
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hello everyone,
Well, this one is starting to p*** me off![:(!] Myself and several other people just can't get a spark out of this AX, we have tried everything. I will keep looking and let you know.
Cheers, Rich. (Xantia Exclusive HDi)[^]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Have you tried investing £20 in one of these ecu readers from h****rds or similar ?
We have one for our AX 1.0i here, a problem with flat spots, stalling, not starting from warm ( ok when hot / cold ).
The reader confirmed my theory that the coolant temperature sensor is faulty - hopefully replacing this weekend.
The readers come with a code sheet - easy to use, and with the correct diagnosis ( and common sense ), can help pinpoint problems.
Mat.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

have you tried the flywheel TDC sensor like I said,when theese go faulty it will cause a loss of spark(its the info from this sensor that tells the coil when to spark).a faulty double injection relay can also cause non sparking.