Xantia plastic lock things - how to put on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Xantia plastic lock things - how to put on

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,

Don't suppose anyone has ever managed to discover the secret to removing the plastic lock button things that are on the top sill of the door interior, without breaking them? When I have to remove the door trim in Xantias, that part has to come off and is a nightmare, and I normally break it.

More relevant at the moment is if anyone knows how to put the buggers back on. My parents' Xantia had the driver's door lock barrel replaced before they bought it, and whoever did it did something wrong with the locking mechanism and now the motor doesn't pull the plastic lock thing down or move it up. However, plastic lock slider thing wasn't clipped properly in place anyway so is already off. I'm going to remove the trim and try to fix the locking mechanism, but how do I get that plastic lock slider back on in the right position, never been able to do it accurately and if I didn't break it getting it off, I usually break it getting it back on. Even if I magically get it to clip in place, it's often too high or too low on the metal rod.

Any advice very welcome!
James
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
arkweld
My Cars: Xantia Activa

Post by arkweld »

Xantia Door/Mirror removal "search" touches on this subject . It's mainly about setting the small clip inside the slider untill your ready to engage the rod (locked posistion). also too many attemps can wear down the clip-grips .
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Every time I've done them they've broken no matter how careful I am and I've had to buy new ones :x
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Same here 75% of mine break when changed!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There is a secret, and sadly it's in short supply where you all live.

Warmth. :lol:

When setting up to remove the lock button, aside from having the right tools, warm the area up with a hair dryer to body temperature - no hotter required.

After removing the lock button, extract the bifurcated gripper from the button parts and hold it with long-nose pliers while dipping into just boiled water. This restores the plastic's memory of its original shape.

Assemble as if it were a brand new part, but I again suggest keeping the area warm while working.
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi James,

to get the button off you have to push a small flat bladed screwdriver into the small slot at the bottom of the button (just visible when the button is in the open/up position) and pull the button up. This action should pull the clamping clip at the back of the button down into the lower position ready for when it is replaced. It should be more obvious how it works when you get it off :)

When replacing the button, make sure first that the clamping clip is still in the lower position. Then, sit in the car in the drivers seat and shut the door. Activate the central locking by pushing the exposed rod downwards. With the rod in the locked position, slide the button over the rod and engage the side lips into their corresponding slots in the door card escutcheon. Once in place, push the button down as far as it will go. Then pull the button up and it should stop when the top rear edge is level with the top edge of the escutcheon...

HTH

Glyn
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Aha, thanks for those tips. The biggest puzzle was always how to get that clip into its top locating slot, thereby gripping the rod, while getting the button in the right position so that once gripped it would be in line with the trim top edge when up. Was always hit and miss before whether it'd be in the right place, and unfortunately never was, and subsequent attempts saw the button break. I'll try your suggestion when I start work on the problem which should be tomorrow. Thankfully the plastic is nice and soft as I'm currently visiting my parents in Spain (it's their car).

I've got a bit sidetracked with the air-conditioning as that's playing up, but will search forum first and if can't find anything, will start a new thread on it. Bit lost on air-con, never looked at it on cars before.

Thanks again and will let you know if the methods work for me and I get the sod on properly aligned and without going through 10 new buttons.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

New buttons are $23 here. That's about £11 each. :shock:

For such reasons, I took pride in getting the system worked out to refit as new. The boiling water dip is essential regardless of the climate; whether hot or cold the tangs take a "set" that must be removed for correct refitting.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

The XM uses a very similar button with seperate plastic grip.
You can get the grips in a pack of 10 but need to know the Citroen part number to order them as they are not listed on the parts list.
On my next scrap yard visit I will try to take a look at an Xantia one and see how different it is.

John
Xmexclusive