Xantia rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Xantia rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Post by xantia_v6 »

I replaced my noisy rear wheel bearing today. It took less than an hour.

The replacement hub (GSF) does not come with a new grease cap, so I carefully removed and re-used the old one.

The nut was not as tight as some have reported, 1 Grunt with a 3 foot bar loosened it. The socket BTS should be 40mm (available on ebay), but I only had 41mm available locally, and that worked fine.

The hub was removed with a simple 2 leg puller (careful to avoid knocking the ABS sensor). the inner cone was removed with the same puller behind the grease shield (no drama at all).

Knock on the the new hub using a suitable socket to transfer the force to the inner race, and pull into place with the new nut (not forgetting to refit the washer).

The specified torque is beyond my torque wrench, so I just gave it 3 grunts with a 3 foot bar.

I packed some extra grease in before refitting the dust cap.

I also packed some new grease in the the bearing on the other side to postpone any failure there.

All is quiet now at 70MPH.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Good work that man...

Im surprised the GSF branch didnt ask you if you needed a new dust cap. We do sell them :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

[edited for clarity]

The first one I bought online, and the GSF website is not very well organised for finding related parts. Many Xantia parts that are stocked to not appear when you search by car model. (try finding rear arm bearings listed under Xantia)

I had to return the first one because it was missing the nut and a ball bearing (probably a previous customer return), and the person I spoke with did not seem to be very familiar with Xantia wheel bearings, although he did go and check whether they are supplied with nuts. I mentioned that I would have to get a dust cover from a dealer, but her did not suggest that ther were available from GSF.

I am not dissatisfied because the replacement arrived next day, but GSF could make life easier for internet shoppers.