1.8 Cambelt HELP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Peter.N. wrote:Does the camshaft sprocket not have holes in it? Is it not possible to bend a piece of wire coat hanger or similar, maybe with a hook bent on the end to try and dislodge it - you have probably tried all that - I'm clutching at straws now.
The inlet sprocket does but not the exhaust. I don't think a straw would help either :D
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I suppose there isn't sufficient gap between the sprocket and the head?................
andydykes
My Cars:

Its working!

Post by andydykes »

No a phrase you hear often except for a Sunday! "Thank God for Halfords". Managed to get a thorx socket set £13.95 for a selection. Loosened the exhaust cambelt sprocket and was able to get my home made locking bolt out. Reset all the timing marks and locked them in position and got the belt on. Tension set, I turned the engine over by hand 4 times. Marks lined up. Removed all tools etc, fingers crossed and it started, with no strange noises. Reved it slightly still no problems. Checked tension seemed to be fine then started to replace the lower cover and fit the aux belt.

Had a problem with the aux belt not being on properly and a screeching noise and smell of rubber on start up. Switched off quickly but belt damaged so put the old one back on and will order a new one shortly. Ran engine for sometime to check for leaks and checked tension again revving up to about 5000 rpm. All seems ok so put the top cambelt cover on and replaced all the plastic covers. Left ticking over for about 20mins then went for a quick drive round the block, no strange noises so I hope jobs a good un.

Will replace aux belt in next few days.

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciated.

Andy
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That feels better doesn't it. :D
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Peter.N. wrote:That feels better doesn't it. :D
Not half! Thanks for help, hopefully job good for many more miles, was up to 83k and borrowed time :D
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's