Xantia Estate Tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Xantia Estate Tyres

Post by user_3150 »

Hello to everyone. I have now got to replace all 4 tyres so was thinking of fitting 205-60-15 instead of the 185's. Could people who have done this in the past recommend it. Could anyone post some pic's it would be appreciated. Also do I have the correct size for the 205's. Just so you know they are steel wheels. Thanks Alec
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

From memory, the steelies should be 6J×15, so the 205 is a nice fit.

I feel they give slightly more grip in the dry than a 185; not sure if the wet is any different. That is highly conditional upon choosing good tyres, though! :lol:
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

A bigger footprint on the road will always increase grip but it may also increase road noise. The level of dry/wet grip also depends on the tread pattern and hardness of the compound. Some tyres work well on some cars but not on others.

A different size tyre *may* affect the handling of the car. It depends if your car has the same suspension setup as a car with the bigger tyres.

Check the front tyres do not rub on the inner wings on full lock. Also beware of the affect on your insurance if you have changed the factory spec of the car.

To be honest I doubt you will get much improvement for the class of car. You might get more improvement using a better quality of tyre. I have always advocated Continental ContiSport tyres, although I don't have them on my TD Xantia at the moment.

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Thanks for the replies so far. The only reason for the 205's really is that I had seen other's do it on previous post's from sometime ago and also my local indie tyre fitter say's the car does take both size's. Didn't even consider insurance I'll give em a buzz.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've pushed my estate pretty hard. One thing about it is, because of the car's appreciable mass, it takes a lot (absorbs loads torsionally) before you seriously unsettle it.

A good stab of apex braking on a loose surface or wet road will get the tail out, otherwise it will understeer/scrub forever when cornering hard. Even with the rear trailing, the power/weight ratio is so poor that it can be hauled back into line quite readily.

Relating this to tyres - 205s raised the point (speed) where breakaway began to occur in dry weather. I was fairly happy with the front 185s when they were worn down to barely legal depth, but it made the car unsuitable for an unfamiliar driver in wet weather. Rears were so old, they were dangerously hard and sidewall-cracked (one exploded in the middle of nowhere, on a public holiday, just to remind me). Pretty much anything newer and softer in the tread was going to feel better.

Regards, Adam.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Given the same air pressure they will give a harder ride.
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

Front wheel drive cars all understeer which is why you should not corner hard.

Since front wheel drive was introduced and the increased power of engines, manufacturers have looked at ways to improve grip. Wider tyres; more rubber on the road.

The trouble with that is that you will be lulled into a false sense of security when going into a bend a tad too quickly, so when you loose traction at that higher speed on todays busy roads, it is 'good night Vienna'.

You realise that you get into a skid later than RWD and by the time you know it, it is over.

Bob
Robert Isaac

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Generally, I agree. It's why my response about tyres was conditional upon tyre quality.

There's also no substitute for getting to know any car in controlled conditions. Few people could attend advanced driving courses and leave having acquired no new skills or confidence.

Being more perceptive in that manner, is going to help people evaluate what a tyre really is doing for them. Or, whether it may do them in!

Regards, Adam.
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

Indeed. But it is not just the tyre as the tyre is an integral part of the suspension. Change any part and the handing will change. It is also knowing the difference between a FWD and a RWD in a skid situation. THIS explains it.

Bob
Robert Isaac

dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

the trick with the insurance is that if they squalk like a demented canary? to state that it's an option by design/manufacture.Ie when had a ford sierra changed from 14 to 15" wheels said its a listed options on models.they were ok with them as long as wasn't 17's-A/M wheel etc.Generaly find that if its an option/makers part/o'e/.that you should be ok.its more how you put it across to them ie something of safety then there normally ok and get them to update spec on their file for your car even better then no come back.
with insurance like dealing with police it's the first words out of your mouth that normally does you?lol.
from what ive seen the later ones are norm on 205's? even saloons. as estates are heavier bigger brakes carry more weight.
My 19td estate Preg went to 195/65/15.ie pug size.cheaper on tyres more use this size.and brings speedo reading ie GPS 60 mph car 59ish.
Been using in that size uniroyal 580 XL's ok and didn't scuff too much either grips good.550's are ok also but wear quicker ace in wet!
firestone TZ200's are ok as well getting some scuff on edge but not to much.
My driving styles quite often to the limit/on the edge. not found yet it?lol. so hard on tyres and yes xantias do go round corners rather quickly! quite amusing to see look on some peoples face when they are in there meant to be quick/sports/or the 2 quickest cars on road corsa/fiesta.and i'm still with them or left them?
xantia 19td estate 96-7
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, the 205/60/15 tyres were standard fitment on quite a few Series II Xantia variants - Activas, assorted turbo diesels and CT powered cars - including estates.

They were always fitted to a 6J wheel, though. Some of the alloys (such as on my SX) are only 5½J. Every Xantia steel wheel I've examined has been a 6J, so it ought to be an appropriate fitting in that sense.

Anyone else here dream of a 4WD Xantia? :twisted:
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

addo wrote:

Anyone else here dream of a 4WD Xantia? :twisted:
I dream of many things but not that. :roll:

Bob
Robert Isaac

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote: Anyone else here dream of a 4WD Xantia? :twisted:
No thanks...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

:lol: Not like that! A little bit more downplayed.

To put it into perspective, I love this video, but you simply can't maintain that aspect in a FWD car...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't - but then I'm old :? :D