ABS Sensor cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fred1

ABS Sensor cable

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

About to replace rear suspension arm bearings on my 93 Xantia (for 2nd time at 370k miles).

I am pretty sure that ABS sensors will not want to come out of the locating plate, has anyone experience of cutting and remaking the ABS sensor cable so that the rear arm can be removed to workshop without damaging sensor?

Regards

John
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I believe the advice is to use coax cable to splice them.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: ABS Sensor cable

Post by admiral51 »

fred1 wrote:Hi,

About to replace rear suspension arm bearings on my 93 Xantia (for 2nd time at 370k miles).
Now thats near Galactic miles :D :D :D

Who said Citroens dont make cars that last...............

Colin
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Two solutions.

1 - unplug the sensor at the connector which is on the top of the subframe, there is also a tie wrap which needs slackening off to allow you to pull the cable and connector through. Helps is you tie a length of string to the connector so you can pull it back through when you refit.

2. If you have one of those small Dremmell type tools with the small cutting disks you can cut a small slot down to the hole the sensor fits in, it is then possible to open up the hole a bit and get some WD40 round the sensor to help get it out.

Having used both I would recommend 1, bit fiddly to reach round but easier in the end.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

rory_perrett wrote:Two solutions.

1 - unplug the sensor at the connector which is on the top of the subframe, there is also a tie wrap which needs slackening off to allow you to pull the cable and connector through. Helps is you tie a length of string to the connector so you can pull it back through when you refit.
I've used method 1 as well - definitely fiddly but probably the best way. To get at the plugs you need the car well up on ramps or stands, spare wheel carrier removed, and I found to do the left one I had to drop the muffler down off it's rubber mounts to gain enough access.

It doesn't hurt to have flexible arms, nimble fingers and a lot of patience as well :lol: There is a wire clip that has to be removed from the plug - one of those C shaped ones that a lot of Xantia plugs use, and it can be difficult to remove the clip where the plug is located, as it's not one you can just squeeze to release.

There is also a rubber gromit in the chassis above the suspension arm pivot that locates the cable, make sure that goes back in place so the cable doesn't get crushed in the moving suspension...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree its best NOT to cut the cable but just un/plug and un/clip it and remove it as a hole complete with ABS cable,

if you intend re/useing the sensor it is not a good idea to try and remove it from the hub, as there is a high risk of destroying it in the process

regards malcolm
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

The loom connector slides onto a little "tongue"

Rory
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Many thanks guys.

I will go the unplug route to start with

Regards

John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

superloopy1 wrote
"i'll have a bit of a feelabout"

little wonder you had prob's with your ABS sensors then TEA HE

regards malcolm
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Hi John,

If it helps, I wrote up my experiences with replacing a rear ABS sensor on my Xantia here
Theres a few tips and tactics in there which may or may not help :lol:
Feel free to add any tips to that topic :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair