And something else...rad fans...the replacement of!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

And something else...rad fans...the replacement of!!

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Oh yes, I need to replace the rad fans, or at least one of them. I have got two spare sets from a ZX and a 306, so hopefully from all of those I can get a good working set.

Question is how best to replace them? The car has A/C (doesn't work) so i didn't really want to have to remove the rads, so was thinking it may be easier to remove the bumper and do it that way?

I have no BOL for this car, so haven't a clue how best to do it.

I wanted to do a coolant change anyway, so if removing the rads is deemed the more sensible choice then I'll do that first.

If It were easier (less time consuming) to remove the rads, does anyone know if the A/C rad can be positioned out of the way, without having to disconnect it?

If it is easier to remove the bumper, how do I go about that?

Any help always greatfully received!!

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
allanmc
My Cars:

Rad Fans

Post by allanmc »

I had to get into the rad fans on my xantia hdi and went to a lot of bother removing the radiator, the ac radiator because the nuts holding the fans on are so close to the radiator after all this work I realised that I could modify a small 1/4 drive socket to get to these nuts by only removing the grill then the fans come out.Allan
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Did one of mine on the Mk2 Xantia recently as posted above. Took all of 45 mins from start to finish.

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Rad Fans

Post by CitroJim »

allanmc wrote:I realised that I could modify a small 1/4 drive socket to get to these nuts by only removing the grill then the fans come out.Allan
Best way to modify said socket is to grind a couple of flats on it to take a spanner.

This method also works great on a MK1 but there is only just and just room to slip the motor out. Possibly one of those jobs that is easier on a MK2...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...