Heater Blower/Ignition switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza
My Cars:

Heater Blower/Ignition switch

Post by lazza »

Dear All

Back on the forum again at last! So much to do to the car, work just not permitting :(. Anyway the good news is that the Citroen Xantia passed its ITV (MOT)... wahey! Despite not being able to fix anything for 8 months or so.

My problem at the moment is that the key got stuck in the ignition.. after alot of wangling, it came out, but then the heater blower didnt work.

Last year it had a brand new heater blower, and a changed the ignition switch (allbeit from the breakers).

I have read the posts on the ignition switch causing the Heater Blower to stop.. .this seems most likely.. what's the simplest way to see if its the ignition switch, and how can I overcome this problem?? Got a little confused on all the posts on this topic

Thanks all

Larry
Ps The car has air con.. which is working.. but the blower isnt
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

You can try by Unplugging the - I THINK - Brown plug from under the sterring colum that goes to the ignition switch and bridging it with a jump wire.. the ignition switch simply bridges it for you...

Its a while since Ive done one so cant remember which one of the three supplies the blower feed..

Remove the lower panel to access the plugs. I guess yours is a LHD car? So im not sure which side of the steering colum they will be located..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

If it’s the ignition switch, the rear window demister won’t work when the blower is switched on.

The modification with relay is in this topic:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21372

If the key got stuck, it will very soon do it again, and you won’t be able to get it out without breaking something.
I had that coming, and took out all pins and tumblers from the barrel; so the car can now still be started with the key, and also with a screwdriver.
That’s of course okay if you live somewhere that they don’t know what a Citroën is.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
david62

ignition switch

Post by david62 »

cured mine last week.brand new switch off ebay=£39.00.fitted in 30mins without removal of steering wheel.fiddly but worth it.now ave blower blowing nice cool air with air con on and h/r/w working ready for winter
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Ok thanks.

I'll try to establish first that it really is the ignition switch then look at the options.

On question- on the blower itself there is a large black wire, a large red wire, and then a set of four that also has a large black wire and a large red one, as well as two small wires.....

err which are which?

thanks
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

lazza wrote:Ok thanks.

I'll try to establish first that it really is the ignition switch then look at the options.

On question- on the blower itself there is a large black wire, a large red wire, and then a set of four that also has a large black wire and a large red one, as well as two small wires.....

err which are which?

thanks
Larry
The ones on the blower itself are extensions from the socket the brown plug goes into.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you end up fitting a new switch just make sure in future you sitch every thing off before the ignition, this will save the switch burnning out prematurly

regards malcolm