Zx 1.9 d clutch help info

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

radar
My Cars:

Zx 1.9 d clutch help info

Post by radar »

As my Zx nears 150K (just run in) and the clutch pedal is nearly touching the dash, although its not slipping and gear changes are ok I am wondering how long till something goes bang !
I have bought a spare cable and its always in the boot (ex Bx owner - does it show ?) since my ownership but its original cable is still smooth and trouble free, has my cable streached to its limit and its dozen washers or so , or has the clutch diaphram weakend hence all the adjustment ??
I have seen a full recon clutch unit (unused and boxed) for a BX diesel in my local paper for £3 (sorry andyspares) and wondering if it is a good buy (recon clutch instead of NEW) and would it fit my Zx anyway release bearing ???
are recon clutches worth it ??
is my original cable streached (is it common)
thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I suppose the answer to your question about the recon clutch comes down to how much you enjoy changing the clutch. I would have thought that the difference might well be the release bearing but I expect someone else here will be able to give you a definitive answer. Which release mechanism have you got? - is it the type with a lever attached to a shaft passing vertically through the bell housing or a presed steel arm pivoting on a ball inside the bell housing?
Diaphragm spring clutches get heavier with clutch plate wear - so I would expect yours to be getting pretty heavy by now.
BX clutches are prone to diaphragm spring wear at the end of the fingers where they contact the release bearing. I don't know if ZX ones are the same.
Jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I think your high clutch pedal is down to wear on the friction faces of the clutch plate. In my experience of BX and 205 diesels, the clutch cable isn't all that much prone to stretching. If the clutch isn't showing signs of slipping, I would soldier on with it until it does. In view of the work involved in renewing, I would be inclined to get the best kit I could find.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The release fingers on the spring wore clean through on my 205 diesel at just about 150k, pedal went flat to the floor and stayed there.
You get some warning of its impending failure, if the pedal starts to go a bit "mushy" you've probably got between 200 and 500 miles left on it, thats how much further I got after adjusting it once more.
Dave