XM Cruise Control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

addo wrote:The funny thing about motor oil, is how people will defend their choice so emotively. Yet in reality - how many cars end their lives due to motor oil related issues?
I was friends with a woman with a Super Minx and she just had a normal clutch IIRC.
That begs the question - did she handle well in the rough, or respond best to a gentle throttle? :P
She was about 70 at the time and drove like Stirling Moss :)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The Hilman system was the Smiths ""Electrodrive" and was almost entirely electormechanical, it had the magnetic clutch. It was a very rare option on the Minx (I only ever saw one that my dad was repairing in the the early 1970s). I did read the transmission service manual then, but have forgotten most now. I remember that the clutch take-up from rest was governed by the EMF from the dynamo, so if the dynamo failed, you switched the car into a "limp-home" mode where the clutch was manually controlled. I wish I had been able to drive it (a bit young at the time).

The Standard "Standrive" system was (I thought), only fitted to the "10" never the "8" and was a bit more common (I saw a doxen or so of them). The same system was fitted as the "Manumatic" to some BMC cars (maybe the Wolsely 14/40 and Austin Cambridge). It was completely different to the Electrodrive, and had a centrifigal clutch, with an elctrically controlled vacuum over-ride for gear changing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah that sounds more like it. I'm confusing my BMC and Rootes, I knew I had seen a vacuum one somewhere. Never met the 'Standard' one. My A55/Oxford manual gives full overhaul and rebuild info for the auto box! Those were the days. :D :cry:
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,

ok cruise control.... If you remove the left hand wheel plastic inner guard, there is the vacuum pump and blowoff valve behind it. Mine had a split pipe over to the relief soleniod.

There is also a relay next to the radiator, this had corroded terminals on my cars, I also had to dismantle the brake pedal and clean the switch contacts. It works perfectly now.

It's a great shame the car has a god awful slugomatic gearbox though.... I'd LOVE to get a manual gearbox for mine if someone will send me a conversion kit :)

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DoubleChevron wrote: It's a great shame the car has a god awful slugomatic gearbox though....
And here's me just itching to get my automatic on the road. I just can't wait to drive a car that is free of the chore of changing gear manually :D

Apart from a quick drive of another V6 I've not driven an auto since my stay in Australia 16 years ago...

A 2.1TD auto may be a bit of a slugomatic Shane but my impressions of the V6 auto is that it's more like a swiftomatic; they fly :D

If you want to convert to manual Shane, it's quite a job. Ideally you want to get your hands on a 2.1TD manual for all the plethora of bits you'll need. The ML5 manual gearbox and hydraulic clutch is quite lovely though.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I've driven a couple of V6 XM's.... They are pretty gutless.... They launch off the line very well (the complete opposite to the diesel slugomatic that a pushbike rider could easily beat off the line).... However once rolling they are quite "sedate", the V6's feel no quicker than my 2.1TD :? :? :? My 25year old tired, ratty CX would slaughter it. .... leaving the V6 XM slugomatic in a cloud of dust wondering which way it went.

My opinion of a V6 auto is they return the fuel economy of a V8 and the performance of a BX 8valve low spec auto... The local V6 cars out here have similar fuel economy, but 180+KW and do 0-100km/h in about 7.5seconds (not the lethargic 10+seconds of the XM).

Now a nice XM 24valve 5spd manual (Series I), THAT could very much interest me :twisted:

seeya,
Shane L.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

DoubleChevron wrote:I've driven a couple of V6 XM's.... They are pretty gutless.... They launch off the line very well (the complete opposite to the diesel slugomatic that a pushbike rider could easily beat off the line).... However once rolling they are quite "sedate", the V6's feel no quicker than my 2.1TD :? :? :? My 25year old tired, ratty CX would slaughter it. .... leaving the V6 XM slugomatic in a cloud of dust wondering which way it went.
Is that with the early V6 engine or the one fitted just prior to the end of XM production?

2.1 with 110bhp v a V6 with 194bhp, IIRC the V6 even has higher torque as well.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Yeah, early V6's.... I don't think anyone would let me drive there late 24valve slugomatic :(

Dont' feel bad... The Xantia V6 slugomatic are just as slow.

seeya,
Shane L.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

"The Hilman system was the Smiths ""Electrodrive" and was almost entirely electormechanical, it had the magnetic clutch. It was a very rare option on the Minx (I only ever saw one that my dad was repairing in the the early 1970s). I did read the transmission service manual then, but have forgotten most now. I remember that the clutch take-up from rest was governed by the EMF from the dynamo, so if the dynamo failed, you switched the car into a "limp-home" mode where the clutch was manually controlled. I wish I had been able to drive it (a bit young at the time).

The Standard "Standrive" system was (I thought), only fitted to the "10" never the "8" and was a bit more common (I saw a doxen or so of them). The same system was fitted as the "Manumatic" to some BMC cars (maybe the Wolsely 14/40 and Austin Cambridge). It was completely different to the Electrodrive, and had a centrifigal clutch, with an elctrically controlled vacuum over-ride for gear changing."

I stand(ard) corrected!

Shane, the late V6 has an almost flat torque curve from 2000 to 6000 RPM, and with the autoadaptive 4HP20 box it is a real flyer. Mine also does 30+ mpg on long runs cruising at 80+ and averages 26.5mpg over the year so she'll do me. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it :lol:

Derek
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

FrenchLeave wrote: Shane, the late V6 has an almost flat torque curve from 2000 to 6000 RPM, and with the autoadaptive 4HP20 box it is a real flyer. Mine also does 30+ mpg on long runs cruising at 80+ and averages 26.5mpg over the year so she'll do me. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it :lol:

Derek
Yep,

she's pretty sedate ... 0-100 km/h in about 10seconds

http://www.myweb.com.au/citroen/xm_specs.htm

The tatty old CX I have .... Smiffy has a road test where they tested 1/2dozen of the CNAN cars we own.... 0-100km/h in 7.5seconds. The bog standard lowest granny spec automatic local car (plastic window winders and all) will do it in 7.6 seconds .... A BX 1.9 auto is actually quicker... ??

Citroen themselves state the XM v6 will only do about 16mpg urban usage :( (which is sadly what my wife would get out of it).

Doesn't mean I don't like the XM a heap more than every car (except CX of course) mentioned 8)

seeya,
Shane L.