Picasso hiccup / code readers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Picasso hiccup / code readers

Post by RichardW »

Picasso has thrown its toys out of the pram and decided to start cutting out. Did it on SWMBO yesterday PM, but by the time I got there it started and ran OK, and after a couple of engine starts the engine light went out, and it drove fine for 15 miles home - even giving it plenty of beans near home. I took it this morning though, and it died twice in the first 2 miles, then again on the way back home :cry:

Going to take it to the local dealer to see what it thinks is wrong with itself, but has renewed my interest in getting a diagnostic interface. I found the ElmScan 5 which sounds like it would do the (engine) job for just over £100 (although doesn't say it runs on Vista, so might need another lap top too...!), but that is half way to one of these Lexia 3 clones that should do most things. I am a bit nervous about sending £250 to China though..... :? Anybody got any thoughts on them / recommendations?
Richard W
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi Richard,

I can't say about an ELM scanner. I bought a Euroscan but never got around to setting it up (it needed a dual RS232 native DOS interface). I bought a 'Lexia' from China. I'd say you need to be a bit sharp with them in that their prices seem to vary according to what they think you can afford. I paid by Paypal and it arrived withing 5 days via DHL tracking.

I think it works OK but I have no genuine reference Lexia to compare it with. Some functions seem to only be available using additional hardware which not having seen a genuine Lexia I'm clueless about.

Hope that helps.

Steve.
not applicable
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The obvious thing to look for is the lift pump in the tank, listen carefully to hear it running when you turn on the ignition prior to starting. Should the engine not start thump the underside of the tank to get it going. If this is the cause I'd replace the pump and fuel filter/housing asap to avoid running the risk of the pump breaking up allowing metal particles to play havoc with the injection system.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

What engine is in it & what year is it ?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

wheeler wrote:What engine is in it & what year is it ?
Hmm, good point :oops: I assumed it was an HDi.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

2003 2.0 HDi 90.

IIRC the in-tank pump is a tank-out job on a Picasso.... :cry: and the tanks is....3/4 full :? This was leaving a fault code as the light is on - ISTR that the lift pump doesn't give a fault light, but that might just be earlier cars.

Local dealer has shut down, so had to get it relayed to the nearest one about 20 miles away. More if they manage to interrogate it....
Richard W
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

steelcityuk wrote: I think it works OK but I have no genuine reference Lexia to compare it with. Some functions seem to only be available using additional hardware which not having seen a genuine Lexia I'm clueless about.

Hope that helps.

Steve.
What sort of fuctions don't work? I have thought about buying one as my mechanics magic box will not even go into the ESP/ASR menu, but if the pretend lexia won't its a bit of a waste of money.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

LP pump it is - must leave a fault code on the later cars then. £300 to fit new one. Cheaper than rewiring the ECU I guess :lol:
Richard W
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Regarding the Lexia 3 copies from China, I've been emailing lots of suppliers about it, and the caution about their prices is true: one company emailed me twice, from two different people, the one person gave the price as $280 and the other gave $260... I'm trying to knock them down more, even though it's academic as can't afford it regardless.

I emailed one pointing out they were copies and asking what recourse there was if they didn't work well compared to the original. The reply pointed out that a copy is just that, and so it won't do absolutely everything the dealer one does - and that what did one expect from something so much cheaper than the original, but that if it seemed troublesome at all, they'd replace it. Don't know how easy it'd be to get money back if it came to it and it was that bad.

The cheapest price so far is $336 (£210 currently) including courier delivery to UK in 3-days and payment by paypal.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes but if your beatting them down in price, they might deduckt some more software from what it is already lacking

regards malcolm
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Not having a reference model I don't know how functional a real Lexia is. Sure the one I have reads fault codes, clears faults, reads live data and allows you to activate various devices.

The bit that I think is missing allows oscilloscope reading of various items - injector pulse, etc. However this would seem to need another interface which could be separate piece of kit even with genuine Lexias.

Price wise I bought when the Pound was very strong against the dollar and so although not cheap it was a good buy. It came in a nice soft case with 30 and 2 pin adapter.

Up to now I've used it on 2 XMs (2.5 TD and 2.0 TCT), C5 HDi and a Saxo. On the C5 there seemed nothing that it couldn't do that I needed it to, it could alter suspension heights, test the gauges and lights on the dashboard, activate engine components, provide live data, etc.

I doubt the software would be altered as this is the easiest thing to clone.

Steve.
not applicable
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

steelcityuk wrote:

Steve.
Now that looks fun. How many people crash their cars because they were watching the laptop rather than the road?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Forgot to add that an ELM scanner won't work on a 2003 diesel as it's unlikely to be OBDII compliant. Made that mistake myself. Apparently those made after 2004 should be compliant. Earlier for petrols.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Forgot to add that an ELM scanner won't work on a 2003 diesel as it's unlikely to be OBDII compliant
Not necessarily true, I bought a cheapo ELM 327 clone off ebay, came from Chinese source, very cheap £30 aprox, coupled with the free version of scantool.net it worked fine for reading faults, clearing faults, and getting live data from my 2000 Xantia HDi. Will not talk to any of my other xantias though :(

I also fancied one of those cheap lexia clones from ebay, never seen one under £200 if we keep offering them £100 maybe they will eventually accept. ;)

*edit.. heres a link with a list of ODB2 compliant cars
http://autocheckengine.com/scanned_list_iso.htm#citroen
http://www.myscantool.com/vehicles.html#citroen
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

mooseshaver wrote:
steelcityuk wrote:

Steve.
Now that looks fun. How many people crash their cars because they were watching the laptop rather than the road?
Who said I was driving?

Steve.
not applicable