Xantia - reassembling rear brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Just looked in the BOL and it shows a pic with the shim area nearest the ground and the small tang uppermost. So if you're happy to believe Haynes then that's the way it should be.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Rear brake pad shim fits as shown in the picture. At least they were like that in my Xantia.
I tried to edit this picture and the blue colored "thing" is supposed to be the shim :)

Last two sets I have bought didn't have any shims but instead they were replaced by some kind of a surface material added on the back side. They work fine.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

doesnt matter really as all the shims do is to take the pads a bit out of true preventing them from hi-frequent vibrations.

Also the shims wont stay in the caliber if fitted upside down at least not until the longbolt is fitted :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:doesnt matter really as all the shims do is to take the pads a bit out of true preventing them from hi-frequent vibrations.
A bias shim like that does matter which way up it is - I've seen one Xantia where the bias shim on ONE rear brake pad was upside down and the other three were the right way around and the pads whose shims were correct looked normal, but the one whose shim was upside down had a HUGE angle on the surface of the pad, there was about a 2mm thickness difference between the two sides of the pad :shock: :shock: I couldn't believe just how non parallel the pad surface was, I wish I had taken a photo.

The idea of a bias shim is to apply more pressure on the trailing side of the pad in the direction of normal rotation, and putting it on backwards will apply more pressure on the leading side and cause it to dig in, resulting in very uneven wear...

So yes, it does matter :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

To be honest how many people have replaced more than 1 set of rear pads on the same car??

I can only imagine people who tow caravans or heavey trailers using the pads a decent amount as some xantias i've had still had original discs and pads at the rear!!!

Also does anyone else notice that the pads they remove always have lips on, only 1 of the xantias i've changed rear pads on has had no lip and i've always thought it was due to the corrosoin on the caliper causing it to run untrue and thus be off the disc?
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

KP wrote:To be honest how many people have replaced more than 1 set of rear pads on the same car??
My V6 required new pads AND discs at the rear after 3 yrs and 30k miles... since changing them, the replacement pads and discs show no sign of wear after a further 70k... something was obviously amiss somewhere.

Ian
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate