Xantia HDI engine cut out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

howiedean
My Cars:

Xantia HDI engine cut out

Post by howiedean »

Hi,
I've recently changed the low pressure pump on my Xantia HDI after experiencing engine cut outs. I suspected the low pressure pump as it seemed to be intermittently failing. The Engine Management light would illuminate after a cut out and the pump sounded noisy when it was running.

A couple of hundred miles after the tank replacement the engine suddenly cut out again. This happened a few times and I managed to catch one of the symptoms, that is when the engine cut out I removed one of the fuel filter pipes and switched on the ignition. No fuel came out of the pipe until a few applications of the ignition switch. Also whilst these symptoms were experienced the fuel light had recently come on.

I managed to get the car to a petrol station as it was cutting out fairly quickly after each failure and it has not failed since putting £30 of diesel in the car.

The Engine Management light illuminates for a few miles only then it goes out. I'm not ruling out the fact that the original pump was knackered and that I have replace it with a dodgy one.

Q1. What controls the low pressure pump. Does the pressure sensor have any impact on the low pressure pump operation?

Q2. I have read that the pump can get hot with low fuel levels, could it be that the new pump (GSF pump and sensor replacement) is suffering from this issue and therefore failing at high temperatures?

Q3. Any other advice regarding this failure.

Many thanks in advance,

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xantia HDI engine cut out

Post by wheeler »

howiedean wrote:Q1. What controls the low pressure pump. Does the pressure sensor have any impact on the low pressure pump operation?
The low pressure pump is controled by the injection ECU via the double relay. The fuel rail pressure sensor has no effect on the operation of the LP pump.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Sorry to state the obvious, but is the gauge / warning light accurate? Perhaps you're just running out of fuel.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

dnsey wrote:Sorry to state the obvious, but is the gauge / warning light accurate? Perhaps you're just running out of fuel.
I think so. Will let you know as I've not had any issues since putting some more fuel in. I think that the pump was getting hot with the low fuel level.

Many thanks

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone