xantia 2nd gear problem & rev counter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

xantia 2nd gear problem & rev counter

Post by Bren »

When changing from 1st to 2nd or from 3rd to 2nd I get a slight crunch - initially I added molyslip to try and ease the problem. However, opinion on this forum was that this was not a good idea, so I drained and refilled the box with the correct oil. This made the transmission quieter, however I still get the baulking on 2nd gear. I might add that this does'nt happen everytime, (it happens when the car is warm as well as cold) but I am wondering if the synchro is on it's way out?

Another fault that has manifested itself is with the rev counter - after a while it becomes intermittent, then stops completely. I am wondering if it is temperature related?

As usual, any ideas would be appreciated.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

could it be a case of adjusting the clutch cable?
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Bren,

Normally if your synchro is going in a manual box then you tend to get a crunch when cold which then eases considerably once warm.

What mileage has the box done?

Rev counter wise, it sound like a wiring problem or the sender unit. Yes it could be temperature related if the sender or wiring is being affected in some way through the temperature in the engine bay. Check the wiring from the sender (black sender on the gearbox housing) and make sure its not burning on something. The sender is about £17 quid ish from memory :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Bren.

Each gear has it's own synchro hub, so I doubt that several will be worn, in my experience with Xantia and BX gearboxes is that the 3rd gear synchro wears first.

When the 3rd gear synchro is worn, you will normally have a crunch when going from 4th to 3rd, this can be overcome by as the gear lever goes through neutral, let the pedal rise, give the car a rev and then put the clutch back down and carry on into 3rd (also known as doubling the clutch) with practice this can be done just as quick as a normall gear change, out of habit I still tend to do it a lot even now, this system used to be used a lot with older cars, before Andre Citroen invented the helical gears.

What was the correct gear oil? Total BV is brilliant in these boxes.

I would go along with the thought that it could be an adjustment problem, where is the bite of the clutch? if right down on the carpet, then it makes an adjustment even more likely.

As for the revometer, more than likely the sensor.

Regards
Martin.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usualy its firstly first and reverse which are hard to engage if the cable is out of adjustment

regards malcolm
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Bren,

Regarding yr rev counter, my '95 xantia 1.9td's rev counter playing up intermittently, by showing 0 rpm briefly, but mine not temp related. My car has a connector plug/socket located on top of the gearbox, & I suspect this may be the cause. Could be yr problem? I expect corrosion of electrical connections now my car's 13-14 years old.

Regards - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )