HDI engine advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lucifer

HDI engine advice please

Post by Lucifer »

I know it’s not a Citroen but the in-laws Peugeot partner combi 2.0HDI 90bhp lost power on the way back from Blackpool last night then started pouring out black smoke. Thankfully they stopped almost instantly and called the AA who relayed them home but said it was probably a Valve and the car was only running on 3 cylinders.

The Peugeot engine is the same lump that I’ve had in my xantia’s and C5’s for years and I haven’t heard of any valve breaking is this likely???
Will it have done any major harm???
Any clues on the rebuild cost as I imagine it will need the head off and rebuilt

I just find it strange the car is a high mile’s for the age it’s a 2006 with 90k on the clock but it’s got FSH and was just serviced 4 days ago

Thanks in advance for any advice
:?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Without some fault codes to guide you there's a lot of possibilities. Didn't the AA try reading them?

You could be looking at split induction pipe, faulty MAF/ Injector/ Sensor as a starter.

Steve.
not applicable
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

No the AA started it said yup running on 3 cylinders must be a broken valve I'll need to tow you home.

The local garage has picked it up and should know something more once they’ve had a look at it
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Never heard of one dropping a valve but have known a few to break rockers.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Could be I suppose but my question to that diagnosis would be so it couldn't be a faulty injector or connection? Personally I think the fuel system is more likely to fail than a valve. Time will tell.

Steve.
not applicable
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok cars been sorted apparently one of the rocker arms had snapped so the valve was fine, also timing was out but not sure if that is what caused the arm to break or the other way around.

Either way all fixed and running good as new for £183 so it could have been far worse