Swapping a TCT engine for a 2.1 TD?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yes NO doubt after 1998 the TD did have the auto adaptive box, as the older mechanical box was replaced by the 4hp20 be then..

You can tell in an XM if the 4hp20 is fitted, as the Sport/Snow switch is infront of the Sport Suspension switch left of the gear lever..

The DERV Auto Xantias ONLY got a N/a or LPT Turbo engine with the old box, but when they switched to the 4hp20 it got the full blown TD engine, but finding one may be hard, late XM's keep a price.. and I dont think they were selling as many as earlyer cars..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Shane

The figures for the electronic EPIC pump are only marginally better than the Bosch mechanical version. The government figures for the estate at 56 mph are:

Manual, 56.5

Auto 52.3

Those figures are reflected at other speeds on the manual but the auto can only really accomplish that in top gear, the efficiency soon drops off in traffic

Doing a long journey on a British motorway, you will be lucky to average 56 mph! I regularly get 50 mpg+ on our journeys to the north of Scotland, 700 miles+ each way. In mitigation though I will say that I don't drive fast or hard, my average fuel consumption is always over 40mpg but again I do live in a rural area. I filled the tank at 851 miles on the return journey a couple of months ago and the gauge was still showing one segment which is about two gallons plus the reserve, I am sure that 1,000 miles on a tankful is possible - like to sponser me? :D

Peter
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

have any of you guys ever recorded you fuel economy (tank to tank) for an automatic 2.1TD.... city only, lots of very short trips (ie: 10minutes trips) and nearly all cold starts ??

The previous owner of mine kept extensive fuel economy records and always averaged 28-32mpg around town. I'm getting 30mpg around town. The CX would be lucky to get 22mpg with the same driving .... But it's a petrol turbo that feels to have .... about ... um, 100times... no, no, 200times to the performance than the XM.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the XM, it pulls well (once rolling), I've never noticed it blow any smoke (other than a small amount for about 5seconds after it's been started) .... The performance however declines dramatically on hot days ... ie: over 30degrees C (I think they must suffer considerable heat soak into the intercooler). This is amplified hugely by having the air-con on.... Trying to do a hill start, air-con on on a hot day with the motor rattling away offboost at 800rpm is a mightily sedate..... Infact it's almost dangerously slow if you want to pull into the flow of traffic.

On cool days in winter, air-con off, the performance off the line is "almost" acceptable to the point where you would overlook it.

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

There is a member of club-xm (cant remember his name as usual) that drives an auto to the south of France quite regularly and he reckons he gets 50 mpg. From the figures it seems that would be possible on a long clear run and as the roads are very good and the traffic relativly light in France, he could be right, but your fuel consumption for your kind of driving sounds about right.
minijetXM

Post by minijetXM »

I have to say I'm in agreement with Shane on this one.
I only get 26mpg from my 2.1td auto around town, and the performance is not as good as my TCT auto.

The only way to get true/accurate mpg figures (without a trip computer, and most 2.1's don't have them) is to log your exact mileage and fuel used. Preferably over several months.
I've done this with several cars I've owned, and never been able to match the mpg figures stated by others who "only put a tenners worth of juice in, and go to work and back every day, pick the kids up from school, take the wife shopping, and have a ride out to the coast at the weekend" etc.

I regularly see 30+ mpg quoted as average for TCT's advertised on Ebay, yet I can only manage 30mpg, driving very carefully along country lanes when there's no other traffic about.
And around town, the figure drops to around 20mpg.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

minijetXM wrote:I have to say I'm in agreement with Shane on this one.
I only get 26mpg from my 2.1td auto around town, and the performance is not as good as my TCT auto.

ound 20mpg.
That's my experience too 26/29 was what I used to get out of both my 2.1TD auto XM's with Bosch pump. around town, mid thirties to very low forties on a run depending on conditions, my personal take is that anybody who says that they can get 50+ plus out of one has a problem with measurement or mathematics.

Just to throw a curved ball into this discusion the one XM I always wanted was a 2.5TD with Auto... yes! yes! I know they didn't make one but....

I reckon the C5 2.2 or even the later 2.0 Ltr with auto box in an XM would make a nice combination anybody with thoughts on that conversion?

Cachaciero
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I can't say I'd fancy a car with either of them engines in them, if only because of the FAP systems.

A 2.0 HDi 110 with a 136 bhp remap would be good, it certainly is in the C5. Integrating such an ECU controlled engine into a XM would take some doing.

I always fancied a Westfield with PSA 1.9 TD in it, 2.1 would be better though.

Steve.
not applicable
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

During the first few minutes with a Derv while the engine gets up to full design working temperature it will consume roughly twice the nornal amount of fuel. It is the multiple stop/restart that plays havoc with fuel consumption averages more so than continuous low gear driving. Driven hard all these PSA units (petrol and diesel) are designed to very quickly reach and then maintain operating temperature. That is the main reason they can give such good fuel performance compared to comparable cars. If the cooling system and particularly the thermostats are in poor condition then the fuel consumption can get heavier due to the engine running at the wrong temperature. Shane this may be a factor in a very hot climate if an engine even in good order still cannot keep down to the correct temperature. Driving style is another factor in fuel performance. My first 2.1 XM was a manual and I was happy with its performance while I knew no better. Later on when I had a back problem for a year or so and could not use a clutch I bought a 2.1 auto. Now that was a real slug. With the more recent V6 and 2.5 XM's I quickly realised what all 2.1's have missing from their performance curves. I can make a good 2.5 mirror PeterN's 2.1 fuel performance on similar runs but seldom do because it requires a slightly more sedate driving style that I usually feel comfortable with.

John
Xmexclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with John

One of the primary reasons for the improvement in fuel economy with diesels over the years has been the increase in power, the more power the lower the gearing and so less revs.

Another major factor is that the smaller the throttle opening the weaker the mixture giving greater efficiency, so the more power available, the less throttle you use.

A diesel run flat out is little better for economy than a petrol engine. On that basis I would expect the 2.5 to give as good economy as the 2.1, but - if you use the extra power you will of course use more fuel. Its all down to your driving style, and the traffic of course.

Peter