Berlingo 1.9D

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave

Berlingo 1.9D

Post by dave »

we run a small fleet of these 03,04,54 & 55 starting out in 2000 with Y & then an 02 which have been disposed off.

the 03 has a mere 72k on it & is suffering from a lack of performance of coarse @ 71bhp they have never know fast, the way we work are 1st 3 yrs main dealer then servicing done by local garage this 03 does not smoke or vibrate, fuel filter where done last service following a supermarket fuel issue (died on exit ramp, freewheeled into a shell forecourt filled then hand primed & on it's merry way)

so apart form a pre reg 58 1.6 Hdi with a sliding door, whats he cure ?

injectors ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Dave -

The obvious problem could be a clogged airfilter restricting air intake.

If these cars has been run as everyday work-bikes, and very seldom been out for a good long blast, they can literally clogg up in the exhaust by carbon fouling.
A good long (very long !) blast can make miracles together with a reputated brand diesel cleaner in the tank for a couple of tankfulls.

Another very common problem on the old style disel engines are sticking coldstart mechanisms.
Either a vacuum or a bowden cable driven lever arm or electric contact.
They tend to stick in the coldstart position making the engine running constantly with altered injection timing as this is how a diesel coldstart setting is done.
There is no provison for a "choke" strangling the air intake thus trying to enrichen the injection. Its purely an injection timing thing on diesel engines.

Air is STRICTLY forbidden in the fuel system, but that would rarely be a power issue. Air will always show up as starting problems and strange "throttle" behaviour, as the air upsets the volumetric fuel regulation in the diesel pump.

72Bhp is not too bad for a Berlingo.
Its just that you are so used to much more "umph" in later cars ...

Soon we will all have to get used to a maximum of 50-60BHp in our cars, because of the worldwide CO2 issues ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
dave

Post by dave »

I'll check the cold start mech, then report back
dave

Post by dave »

seems to run quiter with cleaner in tank,

took it off drive this morning, clunk, front o/s spring broke.....

local garage fixed has sorted it,