C5 Review

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Today I drove a Mondeo Zetec TDCI 130bhp and a C5 SX HDI 110.
The Mondeo engine was gutless below 2000 rpm, and above 2000 rpm was hard to control smoothly. The clutch had little travel and was jerky and hard to make smooth progress. The seat was not level and too narrow to be comfortable. The armrest obscured the gear lever.
The C5 engine pulls smoothly from just above tickover, the clutch is progressive, even if the point of full engagement is a little high. Driving in urban traffic would be a lot easier. The seat is like an armchair with multi position adjustable arm rests.
The C5 gearchange is smoother and generally nicer (in my opinion) and lets not forget that the C5 SX has luxuries such as dual zone climate control, auto wipers and lights, comfy seats, suspension that does not vibrate your fillings out of your teeth.
The HDI engine is smoother than the TDCI and far more agreeable.
Taking a look at www.superchips.co.uk shows that the 130bhp TDCI engine has a similar amount of torque at 1500rpm to the 90bhp HDI as fitted to many PSA vehicles. The HDI 110 blows the TDCI away at lower engine speeds.
True, the C5 (March 2002 build) had knocking noises from the rear suspension, but the (XKP?) fix is supposed to make it nearly perfect.
Sadly, I could not buy the C5 as the dealer and I could not agree our figures by £1000, am still looking for an 02 02 C5.
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Funny! I didn't expect to hear that C5 has only 4 spheres (must be improvement in system) and that in third generation of hydraulic suspension there is possibility to buy car without sport and normal mode of suspension, or I missunderstood statement in one of previous posts?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The 1.8 petrol, 2.0 16v petrol and the 2.0 HDI engines don't have sport mode and only have 4 spheres, ok there is 1 in the hydraulic box of tricks as well.
The 2.0 HPI, 2.2 HDI and V6 engines have sport mode suspension and 6 spheres, the extra one being on the axle at the front and back, which regulates the pressure to the outer 2 spheres, therefore making the ride harder or softer.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Ben - Funny you should mention the bad clutch on the TDCi - my Dads job have a load of pool cars, anything from Fiestas to big cars. The have a 52 plate Mondy TDCi there which he said everyone complains is very difficult to drive and people keep stalling it and it has become generally disliked to the extent all the staff prefer the 406 HDI 90 they have if theyre off on a long trip.
?
If you don't mind me asking, what price were you quoted by the dealer? I have a contact at a dealer in the North West who sell's C5's at good prices, particularly if your looking to buy on finance. If you want me to put you in touch let me know.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

The C5 gets better every time I drive it!!
The auto lights are a good idea, I like the way you can override them if needby.
I'm looking forward to the Bank Holiday to go for a longer drive round Yorkshire, also have to go to Buxton with work next saturday morning.
Just changed the speakers in the front for the recycled Sony ones I had in the Xsara.
Only done 150 miles in it so far, but used a quarter of a tank of fuel. Computer shows just under 43mpg. It has been mostly 3 people on board, air con on, and several short journeys. Hoping to average high 40's on normal commuting. (9 miles each way)
Does anybody know how accurate the quarters are on the C5's guage? 50mpg should give 750 miles from a tank, 700 to be safe.
Ben