gsf or dealer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boeingmech

gsf or dealer

Post by boeingmech »

hi, i,m going to change the cam belt on my xantia and wonder what peoples thoughts are on gsf cam belts compared to citroen belts, good or bad ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well GSF sell GATES/DACO cambelts and cam belt kits, so as lomg as its fitted corectly you should not have any prob's, as these are the two main cam belt companys, and GSF will be cheaper then the dealer on most parts

regards malcolm
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

If it helps, most Citroen independants fit Dayco or Gates belts.

The tensioners that GSF do are INA which are OE on alot of vehicles...as are Dayco belts for that matter.

Price each up and then decide :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

A few years back I had the timing belt replaced on my P-reg laguna. The local garage gave me the old belt back - it had the renault logo on it (it was a genuine item) however when I looked closely it also said gates in much smaller print.

Gates are fine.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well it looks like if, and when I do need to do mine that it will come from GSF, and because I am not going to contribute to the "main stealers" excessive, expensive, exorbitant prices, and the upkeep of the OTT showroom, and the bonuses that they are getting from screwing the customer.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Just like Bren, I recently bought a genuine Citroen belt (not at Cit price though!), and it's marked Dayco as well as Citroen.
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

We have the same discussion in the Volvo club, and many of the parts come from the same moulds and have the same numbers stamped in them.

Some years ago I bought a front caliper from G&S (as GSF was then) and one from a Volvo dealer. They were identical in all aspects, except the colour of the box.

However I recall someone buying a trailing arm bush for their Volvo from G&S and instead of needing a hydraulic press to push it in it went in by hand. Not good.

I think in the current climate of liability and claims I doubt they would sell products that were not fit for purpose.

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

all the above said

a few yaers ago i bought BENDIX brake pads from GSF and they were very very poor standerds, (fake i asked myself)

regards malcolm