Re: Fuel delivery faulty from time to time *Solved*

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Exhume.dk

Re: Fuel delivery faulty from time to time *Solved*

Post by Exhume.dk »

The car has been runing so far like a swiss watch.

1997 Xantia 1 V6 Activa -7659-

Since the warmer weather sets in, it's much more frequent, best way to force the fault is drive for a longer period, get water and oli up at runing temp, then park the car, and 3 out of 10 it cant start. It starts up always but as soon as the engine is started and you release the key, it stops.

Emergency fault finding so far ( at the side of the road, in a roundabout, in the middel of an intersection..you name it :evil: ) has been so far :

1. Take both fuelpump rely off, insert back,
2. ECU-connector off and back on,
3. inertiaswitch pushed back in,
4. My favorite, both rigthside multiconnectors, behind the frontheadlight in the engine bay.

1 or all of the above will get the car up and runing.

Ordered 2 fuelpump relays, and behold..the problem is back, or it never left :?

Last rely is a purple relay 20A *as seen on this photo*

(Part 8 ), but the car starts and runs with or whitout that specific relay. Did notice that a Went-cooling( Part 4 ) hose to the plastic "bucket" from the frontend, was not attached properly, and all the parts in that "bucket" is ..well, not Hot..but fairly warm, and the thermal radiation from the ES9J4 is signifiant.

My last dash, before i loose my sanity and patience would be the keypad..correct me if im wrong, but that keypad cuts the fuelpump current only , yes ??
Had a plan of starting the beast, then unplug it..see what happens. If i can get it to fail, while on the road.

Yes i could hand it over to a Citroen Garage and turn in all my savings aswell, but the car is allmost as old as the lad's on the floor down there :roll:

Please help if you can, do you know of any faultfinding other than *B-O-L*

Do you have in your possesion some real Workshop wiring..accurate and complete to the letter, or even better, some reel life hands-on experience in that area would be much appreciated
So far no clue's or sign of a aftermarket imobilizer or car alarm or other to that nature.

Regards

Christian
Last edited by Exhume.dk on 30 May 2009, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Christian,

I have the circuits applicable to the RHD V6 and they should be very similar. I'll post them up later, not tonight as I'm shortly off to bed as I have a busy day tomorrow.

When you say fuel pump relays, do you mean the double injection relays (two) that live down beside the ECU in the ECU box? These work with the keypad to feed power to the ECU and Fuel Pump.

The purple relay is the starter inhibit relay and it prevents the starter running unless the autobox is in P or N. It should not cause this issue.

I'll get the circuits posted up in the morning...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Exhume.dk

Post by Exhume.dk »

:D cheers Jim

Take it easy big guy..tomorrow is more than perfect

and oh yes..double relay ;-)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Christian,

Here are the circuits...

ES9J4 Injection and Ignition circuit diagram

ES9J4 Injection and Ignition harness diagram

ES9J4 Injection and Ignition component locations

Note that these diagrams are for the UK specification right-hand drive models. Hopefully your Norwegian car will be very similar...

Hope they help in tracking down this problem.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Exhume.dk

Post by Exhume.dk »

Thank you, sir..you are a lifesaver.

I'll Start to track this problem down and report back with the final findings.

Have a good day

Best regards

Christian
Exhume.dk

*Updated*

Post by Exhume.dk »

She runs 24/7, simply cant get it to fail, not that it bothers me :lol:

The only thing so far, is to re-insert the vent tube on to the nozzel of the plastic bucket that contains the ECU, relay ( both ) and the Activa ECU..that's it. guess it holds the eletronic nice and cool. That brings some closure to it, since it started once the spring sets in.

Was thinking of black magic, superstition, witchcraft and a Haitian wodoo priest. for plan B

Anyways, thanks for the Engine loom layout etc...did the trick in tracking the involved wires.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: *Updated*

Post by CitroJim »

Exhume.dk wrote:Was thinking of black magic, superstition, witchcraft and a Haitian wodoo priest. for plan B.
It knows you're on to it Christian and will not dare misbehave now :lol:

I have the same with my Activa. Twice last year it cut out very briefly but since I've been carrying a spare double injection relay in the glovebox it has been absolutely perfect!
Jim

Exhume.dk

Post by Exhume.dk »

Was about to change radiator and the condenser and stumpbled upon on yet another connection[IC 02] behind the battery tray once removed.

There was a considerably amount of water in that connector, used air to clean out debris and water..lo and behold, it works so ever flawlessly. :wink:

Once again, many thanks Jim