Effect of diesel in a petrol tank?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Effect of diesel in a petrol tank?

Post by Stempy »

I've just come back from a couple of day working away and I find my Kangoo will barely run. SWMBO says is was working fine until she filled up with fuel, then it started playing up and only just got her the four miles home. I've checked the receipt and it definitely says unleaded so it's not her fault.

I can get it to run if I hold the throttle open but it sounds like a diesel on a cold morning and I'm sure I can smell a whiff of the oily stuff. Haven't had time to check thoroughly as I'm knackered. Any pearls of wisdom on what to do next?

I know I should probably post this on the Renault section, but I rarely look at it.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If a petrol car has diesel mixed in the tank then it normally produces copious amounts of grey smoke, the potential issue is damaging the cat although I've heard numerous reports that cat's are pretty robust and can be brought back to life simply by refuelling with petrol.

To check if the fuel station has contaminated fuel try siphoning some out etc.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think you probably have some other problem. A petrol engine running on a diesel mix does not sound like a diesel (the compression ratio is not high enough). I would suspect that the ignition timing is way out.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I think you are probably right. I've called the fuel station concerned and they've had no other reports of wrong/contaminated fuel so it's not that. Will have to check further tomorrow.

SWMBO said it was actually running ok until about a quarter of a mile from home, then spluttered, made a whirring/clicking noise and died as she pulled onto the drive.

It does sound like it's pinking badly, but there are no lights on the dash to indicate a management fault.

Lexia ponce

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Andrew, how old is your Kangoo? I'm asking as I may have suitable diagnostic equipment for it.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

It's an 05 Richard. Do Lexias bat for the other side?

Lexia ponce

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

They do EOBD plus I have a Sykes ACR4 with a Renault pod, I'll take a look to see what exactly is covered and get back to you.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I've given it a check over and I haven't got a clue what could be wrong. It'll just about struggle into life but the knocking noise sounds like a Ferguson on pre heat, and it'll only run with the throttle held open.

I can only imagine that the ignition has gone into terminal advance, unless the sound is mechanical contact, but I don't think it is.. No lights on the dash and rev counter works.

Lexia ponce

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

My Sykes pod doesn't list a 1.6 so I presume its too early for your car. It might be worth having a look at the crank position sensor as I know Renault have all manner of problems with then, if its mounted by the flywheel then they suffer from swarf collecting on the sensor which corrupts the signal.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Thanks for the advice. I tried to get a BOL for it but there doesn't seem to be one available, though I guess the engine is common to many models. I will see if I can trace the location of the crank sensor and whip it out if possible.

Lexia ponce

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Stempy, i still wouldnt rule out contaminated fuel as the cause of the problem.

I had a similar thing happen to a diesel passat of mine it ran like a pig after filling up one time. Luckily i only stuck a tenners worth in so i drove loads of miles foot to the boards on the motorway until it was almost all gone then filled up half a tank and it cured it :wink:

It doesnt surprise me that the petrol station said no problem as they would be culpable for the draining and cleaning of your entire fuel system. on a kangoo that can cost £300 plus as we had to get one done at work (it was a Kangoo aswell) :wink:

Good luck on solving the problem.

P.s. You could give Brian a call at GSF Trafford, he is ex renault and has come across most faults over the years :wink: 0161 876 0466
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Thanks for that. I've been reading a lot about something called a 'dephaser' which is apparently something to do with the valve timing and prone to failure. I shall be making further enquiries when everyone is back to work on Tuesday.

Lexia ponce

Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Turns out the kangoo doesn't have a dephaser, just a regular twin cam set up. It's in the at the local dealer who tell me that the inlet cam pulley has broken causing the cam belt to jump a tooth :shock: Cost for repair will be £710 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Should have got a Berlingo......

Lexia ponce

jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Siphon out a pint of the fuel, spill on a concrette path - if it evaporates quickly it is petrol, if not it is diesel. Or you could (if you are very very careful) spill a little on another part of a concrete path and throw a lighted match on it- if it is petrol it will light at immediately. Exercise great care and stand well away.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Just thought I would update this. The fault turned out to be a broken cam sprocket which caused the belt to jump a tooth, so ended up having the lot replaced, cam sprocket, cam belt, tensioners, rollers, water pump and aux belt. It was due for a cam belt in the not too distant anyway. Luckily there wasn't any valve damage.

Didn't have the time, manual or inclination to do it myself so got the local Renault dealer to tow it in. Bill came to £695 in the end so I complained to Renault UK that cam sprockets really shouldn't be breaking and they kindly refunded me £210. So it all ended happily ever after. :)

Lexia ponce