C5 Steering Bias. information required

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cachaciero
My Cars:

C5 Steering Bias. information required

Post by cachaciero »

Hi

My C5 has always since I have had it (some three months now!) had a steering bias to the left.

When I took delivery there were not two tyres the same on the car, two new tyres were fitted on the front problem improved slightly.

Tracking checked and set on a Laser tracking set up, problem improved very slightly, but still exists, it's not serious but it is annoying that I have to keep a couple of fingers pressure to keep it straight.

Now going through the maintenance records that came with the car this seems to have been present to some greater or lesser degree for quite a while before it came into my hands, about the last 30000K as far as I can see.

Now it seems to me that if the tracking is good and the tyres are balanced then the only thing that it can be is bias in the power steering ram.

There does appear to a very slight leak from the area of the steering rack but not I would have thought significant.

Question how does the power steering regulator work and how is it calibrated to the mechanical centre point of the rack.

Am currently toying with the idea of "offsetting" the wheels by adjusting the track rod ends by one turn each side i.e screw the right one in one turn and the left out one turn.

Thoughts anyone?

cachaciero