New member with Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

firstrebel
My Cars:

New member with Xantia

Post by firstrebel »

Some weeks ago I acquired a 1997 Xantia estate, 1.9 TD SX with 138,000 miles on the clock. It had been destined for the scrap yard but was ‘saved’ by DickieG. It was to use for work instead of my Volvo T5 auto estate. The Volvo is immaculate despite its 184,000 miles, but its luxury is at a price. The 38 miles round trip to work returns 20mpg. Motorway is 28-32mpg. I also want to keep it in good condition. So the Xantia was to be my daily drive, at about 45mpg.

At first it only needed a rear suspension cylinder, but over the weeks it also needed 4 tyres, two front ABS sensors, TDC sensor (it was missing), speed sensor, all 6 spheres, radiator, front and rear wipers, and some other bits and pieces. It was filthy inside, just like a builder’s car. It took several days of vacuuming and cleaning. The paintwork was dreadful and took a lot of cleaning, polishing and waxing before it started to look reasonable. There are a lot of marks on the paintwork that will not come out. But now it looks respectable.

The next big job was to be the rear brakes, new discs and pads. I have never seen so much rust on a disc, and the calipers were touching the inboard side of the discs. I expect you have already guessed the problem; corrosion between the caliper and the backing plate. It took four hours to get the first disc and caliper off, the second took a little less. My concern was the pressure on the caliper bolts caused by the corrosion that they would sheer. But by gently tightening and loosening them, bit by bit they came off. This was preceded by copious amounts of PlusGas.

The biggest horror was the wear pattern of the pads. You can see from the pics that the tops were hardly worn, and the rest was wedge shaped.

I cannot understand why Citroen has never brought out a mod to prevent this; all it needs is a wax paper gasket. I used some thin but strong plastic sheeting to make a gasket. There are a few companies who will make custom gaskets and I am sure that if enough Citroen enthusiasts clubbed together it would not be too expensive.

For some reason the AC has been bypassed. A smaller auxiliary belt has been fitted to bypass the compressor. I assume it is cream crackered. That needs to be fixed before the summer arrives. It is coming this year isn’t it?

Although it is not in the same class as the Volvo I really enjoy it. A much softer ride compared with the Volvo’s sport suspension and low profile tyres. But around London’s poor roads it is ideal.

There are still jobs to do; front brakes, engine mountings, clutch and AC.

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Welcome to the forum Bob :D your Xantia must be wondering what's going on with all that love and attention you're giving it, almost akin to Jeremy Clarkson going on a makeover :lol:

Oh and when Bob says his Volvo is immaculate he's being modest :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Welcome to the FCF Bob :D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, welcome.

You have been thrown in at the deep end havn't you! You know a lot more about them now though. :D The rear brake problem seems common to the hatchbacks, or at least the XM's, I have never had this problem on the estates, probably because people tend to carry more weight in them which keeps the back brakes more active. The first and only XM hatch I bought had the same problem, wedge shaped pads and all, they had just simply rusted to the caliper.

If you want a really luxurious car, get a 2.1 diesel XM, I think you will find them bigger than the Volvo inside plus a potential 50 mpg.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A very warm welcome to the forum Bob :D

It was good to meet you last weekend. I was staggered by how good the car looks after all the hard work; certainly well saved from the jaws of the crusher!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
firstrebel
My Cars:

Post by firstrebel »

Peter.N. wrote: If you want a really luxurious car, get a 2.1 diesel XM, I think you will find them bigger than the Volvo inside plus a potential 50 mpg.
No, I am not getting more cars. I now have 2 Volvos (1953 PV444 and the T5) and the Xantia. I will have to build another garage.

I am already getting comments from the Volvo club members that its chairman is driving around in a Citroen. I will get put in a Viking long boat and pushed out into a mist covered lake, never to be seen again. Valhallah!!

Bob
Robert Isaac

1997 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate. 152000 miles
1995 Volvo 855 T5 Auto - Chipped. 186000 miles
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would probably have a similar problem if seen in a Volvo. :D

Peter