900,000 mile BX !!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

900,000 mile BX !!!

Post by Jon »

Yes, its true.
Its a blue B reg BX 19RD, Mk1 showing just over 900,000 miles at the time of writing. We've seen it, its owned by a chap called Cliff from Bracknell, Berks who also owns a Xantia estate.
The BX was bought new by our man, and was used to commute from Bracknell to Bradford and back on a daily basis!!!! Its now in semi retirement driving from Bracknell to Heathroew most days, and its hoped to get the old girl up to 1 million miles.
I'm told that the rear arm bearings have only been done ONCE (they've had grease nipples in there since), its on its 4th starter motor and 3rd alternator, and check this, according to the owner its only had ONE head gasket. Its a very early MK1 car with the bush/bearing front arm set up and thinner wheel bearings, we managed to get a set of wheel bearings for it last week, and the front arms have also been fitted with Grease nipples.
The owner puts the vast mileage and superb reliablity down to the fact that the car has rarely been driven over 3000 RPM; it gets its oil changed every 2/3 weeks using a semi synthetic diesel oil designed for lorries, together with from day one a genuine Purflux oil filter.
He promises to drop by soon and give me some pictures and some more details. Without doubt it has to be the highest mileage, most original BX in the UK if not the World, unless anyone else knows otherwise.
I will post further when I next see the guy.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I can't wait to rub a few peoples noses in this one.
Food for thought though; if I drive me BX 16 Valve the same way, dya reckon it'll go as far?
Just as well this one's a diesel; can you imagine driving a BX 16 valve at 3000 rpm? I hit more than that down my driveway.[:D][:o)]
Alan S
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

My BX has only done 140k. Is it run in yet ?? Should I be driving it carefully until it is run in? Any advice appreciated - I don't want to ruin the engine when it is so new!!!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Man, if 14k isnt run in, then at 110k im gonna pull the engine out and preserve it.
Anybody want a XUD9a, as new only 110k miles :)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

As new, Vanny? Have you fixed the head gasket while we were away?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Makes the 250,000 mile Xantia I saw last year look like a barely run in baby! Just goes to show how far careful driving and servicing will get you.
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

A local Citroenist owned a S1 Xantia VSX that ran up over 320k km in 3.5 years. Only major prob was that the alternator died one day at around 250k km - in the middle of Sydney traffic!
A few years ago they traded in the Xantia on a 24v XM and love it.
AdrianO

Post by AdrianO »

My BX has only 29k <sniff>, half of that done in the last year.
But, heh heh, 900,000 divided by 15k equals strewth 60 years.
I'll be gone by then. Looks like I dont ever need another car.
Anyone got a nitromethane attachment?
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

I would be really interested to know what other parts have needed replacement on the 900,000 mile BX. For example what has been done to the fuel pump and injectors?
What has been replaced or repaired on the hydraulic system? How lomg did the original clutch go for? etc, etc, etc.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

HOW MANY!!!! you sure it ain't had the clock turned back? The other Sunday while bored the wife worked out how much diesel my ZX td would need to get to jupiter (not back) and how long it would take if it returned the top 52 mpg I got a few weeks ago. Over 77 million gallons and about for ever in time. What planet could you get to on 900,000 miles and back. Sorry for the question but my dad bought me a telescope as a kid (30yrs ago) and since then I've been in to the space thing (not a TREKKI!!!!).
Jon

Post by Jon »

I saw this car, and it had indeed done 901,000 when I last saw it (that was a year ago). Its a 1984 B reg BX 19D, Mk1, the very first of the BX D's. Bear in mind that the thing is 20 years old and it was pulling some 1500 mile weeks from much of its early life, it does add up. Like 78K a year even over 10 years is 780,000!!! From what I recall most of the miles went on in the first 10 years, and after that they used it to commute from Bracknell to Heathrow and back when they got a new Xantia.
Cliff, the owner used to pop into Andysparse for many years. Maybe if he reads this he can get in touch and provide some more information.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Well 250, 000 miles is approximately the distance to the Moon. You wouldn't reach any other planet/astral body on that mileage. Next nearest planet is Venus which is 162, 000, 000 miles from earth, some 180 times the mileage of the car.
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

Surely Venus could only ever be 162,000,000 miles from the Earth due to its position in its orbit relative to the Earth's? I would have thought that at some time we would get to a position where the two planets are aligned and be closer than that. After all, its only 93,000,000 miles to the sun! :)
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

900,000 miles! Never above 3000 rpm! Regular servicing....Admirable, yet what sort of fun has he had driving her. Sounds like a mild case of obsessive compulsive to me. And what a joy to get stuck behind, when you need to get somewhere!![:)]
Sarcasm aside, he has to commended for his love of the old gal, that sort of mileage is fantastic, testament to all that would doubt the Citroens abilities. Just 5 hours or so every weekend servicing the old gal, and good to go for another 500,000 miles.
When did you say his wife left him??[:D][:o)]
Sorry if I have offended anyone's sensibilities!
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Brian the website I got that nugget from said it was the maximum distance. I never looked up the minimum. S'pose that figure is when we are on opposite sides of the sun. Obviously if you were going to drive there you'd set off when they were closest[:p]