Leaky front end

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nickd
My Cars:

Leaky front end

Post by nickd »

Hi everybody, long time no post...

My '94 Xantia has developed a new LHM leak, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to cause and/or potential fix.

There is nice clean LHM on the top of what I guess could be called the inner wing, on the driver's side. The only pipe I can see that would drip onto this area is what I take to be the high pressure feed to the suspension sphere. Only thing is, I can't see any LHM leaking from the pipe. The sphere seal is dry and no drips under that. The only thin I spotted was that the pipe is located by a clip bolted to the inner wing - is there any chance that the pipe has corroded behind the clip and sprung a leak?

Any advice gratefully received as ever...one day I may be able to help someone else!

Thanks

Nick
'94 Xantia 2.0 8v, 118k and not bad, ta
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It could be, but you should see some sign of fluid round the clip and if it was a high pressure leak it would normally be spraying out. Have you looked with the engine running? If there is no sign, clean all the fluid off and keep checking.
nickd
My Cars:

Post by nickd »

Thanks Peter.

I've tried exploring all the variables - engine running and changes to height settings etc, but couldn't see an obvious leak - certainly nothing spraying around the engine bay. The only reason for sayng it may be a high pressure leak is that is the only pipe I can see in the vicinity, but it could be something else.

I've cleaned the fluid off and plan to check tomorrow - I doubt that it's a one-off and expect it will only get worse with time.

It's a bit odd as there seems to be no effect on brakes or suspension, although when I set the height to low & switched the engine off it did chuck a load of bubbly LHM back into the reservoir, which I guess means there is air getting in somewhere.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't worry about it until it gets to the stage that its dripping on the ground or your LHM level is going down seriously. I have never had an XM that doesn't leak somewhere - stops the underneath rusting. :D
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

nickd wrote: It's a bit odd as there seems to be no effect on brakes or suspension, although when I set the height to low & switched the engine off it did chuck a load of bubbly LHM back into the reservoir, which I guess means there is air getting in somewhere.
Hi Nick

Not necessarily, I think its a case of 'they all do that sir', I think its something to do with the return pipes coming back under slight pressure meaning as soon as it hits even lower pressure (air pressure) it bubbles. I remember hearing that from somewhere on the FCF, If im wrong please correct me!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi Nick.

I would bet that your first guess about the clip is correct, this is a very common problem, they weep from behind the clip and run along the inner wing, then drip out from behind the headlight.

One bit of advice, dont touch it untill tou are armed with the bits to fix, otherwise it will change from a weep to you not goung anywhere....

Regards
Martin.
nickd
My Cars:

Post by nickd »

Thanks everyone for your help.

Martin you're right, I first noticed the drips on the carpark under the headlight. All I've done is clean it up and not poked around too much.

Is it a difficult fix? Presumably the offending bit of pipe can be cut out and replaced with a flared-end piece? I'm planning on PX-ing it in the next few weeks and don't want to get stuck with a 'well its not much use to us' response, but don't want to throw a load of cash (or time) at it.

Thanks
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Nick.

It is an easy fix, but only if you have the correct tools.

When I was garaging I used to do a quick and permenant fix, cutting the pipe just below the clamp, throw the clamp in the bin and flare up the old pipe. Then I would use a female coupling / connector and bolt this to the old clamp fixing hole with a "P" clip, then you can carry on up to the strut top with a new piece of pipe.

It's either the above way or get a complete new pipe, this is not expensive but just a bitch to get to the other end.

Regards
Martin.
nickd
My Cars:

Post by nickd »

Brilliant, thanks Martin. I'll probably have a go at that then.

By the way, I used to use Pleiades for my BX and the Xantia, and always found it an excellent experience. Its a great pity you're not still garaging.

Cheers.
Nick