Electric Buffs out there: S2 Xantia TD strange problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Clogzz wrote: Our tribal elder Jim has posted a list of voltages, probably in a ‘sticky’, but I haven’t found it yet.
Here it is. Cunningly hidden within the Blower Sticky :D

Tribal elder? Makes me sound like I have a strangely painted face, wear a grass skirt, live in a mud hut and have a big totem-pole in the garden :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im glad you didnt get your BIG totem-pole out whilst i was at your hooooos big cheif sitting Jim

regards malcolm
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

CitroJim wrote:
Clogzz wrote: Our tribal elder Jim has posted a list of voltages, probably in a ‘sticky’, but I haven’t found it yet.
Here it is. Cunningly hidden within the Blower Sticky :D

Tribal elder? Makes me sound like I have a strangely painted face, wear a grass skirt, live in a mud hut and have a big totem-pole in the garden :lol: :lol: :lol:
There you go Jim, have a replica of the Citroen totem pole featured at 3:50 in this BX Tribute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P5ozx7P_jI
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Jim,

Ive read and followed yur advise in this posting of yurs..

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =fan+speed

Ive found out that the ORANGE feed wire to the Speed module has ONLY 1.2 V on ALL slider settings...

Ive tried a different control panel and with no affect..

Were is the Air Con Control Module located???

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Paul

Before you delve into the aircon control circuitry be sure that it has a problem. It is fairly simple to check and prove the blower fan works on auto settings or try another known good fan in the car. If the two transistors are blown in the fan control module the standard fan behaviour is off at all settings except full on when it works correctly. I suspect that if the fan is not moving the air across the climate control sensors in the heater/cooling ducting then the ECU sees this as a malfunction and stays shut down. Set to full, air flows, sensors read within the ECU parameter table and it switches the aircon on. There is a firm in Derby selling the fan control modules stating that Citroen describe them as aircon controllers. Genuine Citroen items 6441.78 and the one I got from them had modern darlington transistors not TI ones. That enabled me to solve the problem of the correct replacement transistors that I reported in a thread on Club-XM a couple of months ago.

John
Last edited by xmexclusive on 23 Apr 2009, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Xmexclusive
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citroenxm wrote:Were is the Air Con Control Module located???
If you mean the A/C ECU then its tucked up alongside the centre console above the N/S footwell, the multiplug connects onto from below, the ECU is shaped like a long packet of cigarettes.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

xmexclusive wrote:Hi Paul

Before you delve into the aircon control circuitry be sure that it has a problem. It is fairly simple to check and prove the blower fan works on auto settings or try another known good fan in the car. If the two transistors are blown in the fan control module the standard fan behaviour is off at all settings except full on when it works correctly. I suspect that if the fan is not moving the air across the climate control sensors in the heater/cooling ducting then the ECU sees this as a malfunction and stays shut down. Set to full, air flows, sensors read within the ECU parameter table and it switches the aircon on. There is a firm in Derby selling the fan control modules stating that Citroen describe them as aircon controllers. Genuine Citroen items 6441.78 and the one I got from them had modern darlington transistors not TI ones. That enabled me to solve the problem of the correct replacement transistors that I reported in a thread on Club-XM a couple of months ago.

John
John,

Tried 3 motors AND another heater panel and same result!! So Im starting to look further down the line.... Surly I havent got all 3 motors duff AND 2 duff panels too :lol:

Rgds
Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Paul

I use a test rig to test the fans on these days. Got tired of having them run around the passenger footwell when left loose on the floor. Surprised at the number of recovered ones I am finding that are duff or malfunction. Swapping bits in and out of cars that you are not sure work to try them and see if the fault goes away can waste a lot of time.

The Modern Valeo specification replacement Darlington for the fan controller is the FW26025A1 made by ST but as with the TI - 1829 it is a special number marked on the devices supplied to the auto industry that disguises the identity of the original transistor type. If you look for the spec sheet for the FW 26025A1 on the web you will find that all versions describe the device wrongly as a NPN but if you test one you find it is actually a PNP.
There are plenty of FW 26026A1 devices with bulk suppliers in both EU and Aus but none available from the retail suppliers. The parent device is a 2N6287, a PNP type, TO3 case, 100volt, 20Amp, 160watt, linear switching power Darlington. These are easily obtained and should be about £3 each in small quantities.

John
Last edited by xmexclusive on 24 Apr 2009, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Xmexclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote: There you go Jim, have a replica of the Citroen totem pole featured at 3:50 in this BX Tribute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P5ozx7P_jI
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well found Kev :D Enjoyed that!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Right then Boys!!

I HAVE my answer today after spending this after noon at my parents in the company of their S2 T plate 1998 HDi...

I swapped the Air con ECU's over, and mine worked fine in theirs, and the problem remained... so after a bit more head scratching and checking wire continuety my last resort was to try the blower motor itself...

Well HEY PRESTO! It worked!! It performed correctly, adjusting speed through the slider etc etc.. BUT I noticed a difference in the motor..

All the motors I was useing, the blower itself was retained in the housing by RUBBER bunged type feet.... the one in the HDi the motor was secured by 2 screws in the bottom.. so there must be a difference in the motors in some way or another... SO...

Has anyone a BLOWER MOTOR with the 2 screws in the base holding the motor in the housing PLEASE! ????? :D :D :D :D :lol:

Thankyou to Citrojim as useual for his great efforts, and others inc Clogzz who also gave me other pionters to look at...

Regards
Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto