xantia chirping squeaking noise please help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timbo101
My Cars:

xantia chirping squeaking noise please help

Post by timbo101 »

hi all . Well after a year i now have my xantia estate in top notch condition mechanicly and cosmeticaly inside and out but over the past few weeks it has developed a real fast high pitched squeak with every slight movement or bump in the road . I am not sure where it is coming from but i think it is coming from the nearside rear . I am driving to france in 3 weeks and want it sorted before we go as it will drive me mad . Anyone got any ideas what it could be please . Very many thanks . . . .Tim
1997 Xantia 2.1 TD SX Estate
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

This sounds like the bearing on the rear suspension trailing arm. Unfortunately Citroen pre-packed the bearing and then didn't provide a grease nipple to top it up.

Derek
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It could also be your rear brakes.
Corrosion builds up between the arm and the caliper pushing the caliper out of alignment and rubbing against your discs.
Dead easy to fix if that is the case.
To check, just take the rear wheel off and look down from above to see if the disc sits straight in the caliper or at an angle.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I think, Xac, you may have the answer there..

Also worth a check of the anti-roll bar mountings across the subframe.

Best to gwet the rear up on stands, depressurise the hydraulics and exercise the trailing arms up and down and listen carefully.

Also check the subframe rubber mountings.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
timbo101
My Cars:

sorted

Post by timbo101 »

thanks for all your suggestions . I have now found out what it was and its the easiest fix which is great . I lacked it up at the back and all it was was the exhaust mount at the back had shifted a bit and it was the exhaust that was squeaking against the metal plate above it . Will sort it out properly on the weekend but just really pleased it is such a simple problem . Thanks to you all again . . . .Tim
1997 Xantia 2.1 TD SX Estate
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Re: sorted

Post by ACTIVE8 »

timbo101 wrote:thanks for all your suggestions . I have now found out what it was and its the easiest fix which is great . I lacked it up at the back and all it was was the exhaust mount at the back had shifted a bit and it was the exhaust that was squeaking against the metal plate above it . Will sort it out properly on the weekend but just really pleased it is such a simple problem . Thanks to you all again . . . .Tim
That's nice, an easy cheap fix. 8)
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

FrenchLeave wrote:This sounds like the bearing on the rear suspension trailing arm. Unfortunately Citroen pre-packed the bearing and then didn't provide a grease nipple to top it up.

Derek
Not pleased about the way they did that, as I have already had to do mine! :evil:

They should have allowed us to be able to lube it!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.