Xantia V6 timing belt kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Xantia V6 timing belt kit

Post by xantia_v6 »

Just thinking about options for "maintaining" one of my V6s

Is this a good price? http://cgi.ebay.de/Zahnriemensatz-CITRO ... 0344724353

and can anyone tell from the photo whether this engine comes with a manual or automatic transmission (not sure about the chain visible above the transmission). http://cgi.ebay.de/Citroen-Xantia-3-0-V ... 0155471504
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I need a timing belt kit for mine so this is of interest to me. I've not yet looked at prices in the UK but from what I've heard so far, that does not seem bad. I can't read German but how much will postage be on top?

Mine was done not so long ago so I'm hopingt he tensioners prove OK and I can just swap the belt. I'll be doing the water pump too.

The engine looks to be from a manual car as I cannot see any signs of the things I'd expect to see dangling such as transmission cooler hoses, the Kostal electrical connector and the gear position switch harness.

It should not matter as the bellhousing bolt pattern will be the same. To use on an auto you'd need to swap the flywheel and flex-plate.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Its a real shame exchange rates arent what they were, theres a fair few tensioners on that V6, i can see why many shy away from doing the job themselves, with the engine in the car it must be a bit more than fiddly to say the least.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote: i can see why many shy away from doing the job themselves, with the engine in the car it must be a bit more than fiddly to say the least.
Indeed, typical V6 fiddlyness Dean but it is not quite so bad as it first looks, like the majority of V6 jobs. There is about the same room to do the job is there is in a 2.1TD..

I'm keen to do mine whilst the engine is sitting on the workshop floor :D I'll be doing a full guuide to the job for this and the Club-XM forum and working out how to make any tools needed even though I currently have the pukka Citroen tool kit for the job on loan.

Time is not working in my favour at the moment :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote: I can't read German but how much will postage be on top?
Postage to UK is 20E.
CitroJim wrote: The engine looks to be from a manual car as I cannot see any signs of the things I'd expect to see dangling such as transmission cooler hoses, the Kostal electrical connector and the gear position switch harness.
My thoughts also.
CitroJim wrote:
It should not matter as the bellhousing bolt pattern will be the same. To use on an auto you'd need to swap the flywheel and flex-plate.
It is not worth the trouble to me, but a manual transmission would save the bother of changing the transmission filter ever again. I suppose it is quite likely then that the car is an activa.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

working out how to make any tools needed even though I currently have the pukka Citroen tool kit for the job on loan.
Dont forget, points will be deducted for using the correct tools, its very unsportsman like :wink: :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

:D

Jim, on the 406 site there is at least one 'how to' on the later V6 VVT cambelt change..

I did mine on the V6 with the engine on the floor, wasn't too bad...

the pdf was useful too..
I think my belt was £30, and one of my two sets of rollers were re-usable..
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Is it me or does that car look like a cut and shut that didnt get done right?? possibly an ex taxi or boy racer?

Would have been nice to convert it to RHD and bring it back to the UK and build up into a V6 activa :)
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

xantia_v6, i have 2 days free mid week now so i am going to do this, as always i can't find the pdf's with the tightening torques, you got it handy? taking of the cam side engine mount at the mo, need the tightening torques for that too

thanks
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

if anyone needs it here http://www.citroenkerho.fi/xantia/pdf/t ... 0ES9J4.pdf

from JohnD on this thread it nees to be tightened to 83 SEEMS 1/3 up the run from the crankshaft http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!