xantia ball joint rip off???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

corkymills
My Cars:

xantia ball joint rip off???

Post by corkymills »

just took my 1998 xantia 1.9td for MOT (105.000miles)It failed on a ball joint[:(]decided to replace both. Haynes manual says you need special tool to remove old ball joint,so I rang main dealer only to be told they don`t do them. Bought new joints ,chap in motor spares said you just use a screwdriver and tap it undone.After several trys with a large screwdriver and a lump hammer no way was this going to work (even if I heated it up).So I took off the brake disc and tried a huge pair off Stilson grips,still no joy.I ended up having to replace both hub carriers at a cost of £150.00+ vat each(ball joints already in and new wheel bearings. What should have cost me £35.00 for two joints cost me £400.00 (changed track rods as well).My point is this,why sell replacement joints if they know you can`t get the old ones out and why say use special tool when you can`t get it.Thanks for your time.....CORKY......[:)]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i've never had the special tool work once,you would have been wasting your money buying it,a heavy blunt chisel & heavy hammer is the best way.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does £6.99 + VAT sound a reasonable price for the lower swivel joint remover?
http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... tionid=851
corkymills
My Cars:

Post by corkymills »

tried everything lump hammer, brickies chisel, large grips,heated up the ball joint casing all that happend was the slots in the ball joint just rounded off. The car has done a high milage (105.000 in 5yrs)it was a lease car so this may be the first time they have been replaced, I don`t believe having the tool would have helped.....cheers......CORKY.........ps glad the forum is back...[:)]