Xantia Turbo woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chris.smith55
My Cars:

Xantia Turbo woes

Post by chris.smith55 »

I have a Xantia TD 1994, a little while ago the Turbo stopped. Having lost confidence in my local dealer, I decided to get my hands dirty. So I changed the Oil, Oilfilter, Air filter and fuel filter. The Turbo came back and I was feeling pretty smug. Then after 500 miles, it stopped again, why?
Was the oil change a false start? Any clues would be a blessing.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Chris - what precisely are the symptoms and why do you say the turbo has 'stopped'
There are a number of things that could have happened but I think the most likely (and simplest) is a failure in the small pipe linking the intercooler to the extra fuel device on the injection pump. The purpose of the pipe is to communicate the boost presure to the pump which then delivers extra fuel so enabling the engine to take advantage of the turbo boost. If the pipe is disconnected the turbo will still pump but no extra fuel will be delivered and the car will not respond. The pipe is generally a small rubber pipe and can split, allowing the pressure to escape. Follow the pipe throught its length and all branches as cetainly on a BX there is a branch running to the turbo boost warning light which is situated under the battery.
jeremy