Citroen Berlingo - won't go!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

snapdogs
My Cars:

Citroen Berlingo - won't go!

Post by snapdogs »

I used my Citroen van last week, ran fine, filled up with fuel, got home, went to go back out... and the van would not start, have recharged the battery, but it was turning over fine - just won't fire, have looked on line and seen where the fuel filter is, but have not checked this out yet as am not sure that this is the problem.... if I did take the fuel filter off would fuel just pour out... and would I need to just clean it - or change it? It does need new glow plugs but has been starting fine..... just odd! Have never has a problem starting my van ever!!! just wondered if anyone has any ideas please as I am not a petrol head... and can't afford to pay someone to look at it for me.
thank in advance
Dyslexics of the world untie!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome Snapdogs :D

It would help us greatly to know the engine fitted in your Berlingo. It has quite a bearing on diagnosis.

Seeing your signature reminds me of a similar one..

...about the insomniac dyslexic who lay awake at night wondering if there was a dog...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

Not to state the obvious, but have you checked you put the right fuel in? Open the filler cap and stick your sniffometer in there, you'll know soon enough if you have. :?
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
snapdogs
My Cars:

Post by snapdogs »

:oops: course I put the right fuel in, I drove about 10 miles after I put it in.... LOL
The engine is diesel 1.9 manual.....
Dyslexics of the world untie!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

snapdogs wrote::oops: course I put the right fuel in, I drove about 10 miles after I put it in.... LOL
The engine is diesel 1.9 manual.....
That doesent mean anything, the engine will run for a good while before the petrol starts to come through. If you still have the fuel receipt check it to see what it says.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi snapdogs

If the receipt shows diesel and the sniff test shows petrol there is just the chance that the filling station/bulk fuel supplier wrongly refilled one of the filling station tanks. Happens every now and again.

John
Xmexclusive
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Maybe it's not the fule - perhaps the glowplugs have finally given up the ghost. What current are they drawing?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dnsey wrote:Maybe it's not the fule - perhaps the glowplugs have finally given up the ghost. What current are they drawing?
A good point. An IDI diesel engine will never start without glowplugs.

It's not easy to measure their current but an idea can be gleaned by measuring the voltage on them when the controller has them on and comparing that with the voltage across the battery. It should be slightly lower on the tops of the plugs due to the small voltage drop between battery and plugs.

Another crude way is to put your lights on and watch the instrument illumintation. It will brighten very slightly after the glowplugs go out.

Yet another way is to watch the exhaust as the engine is cranking. Is there white/grey smoke coming out denoting unburned fuel is passing straight through the engine?

If no smoke, there is a fuel problem. Check that fuel is reaching the pump by slackening the union and pumping the primer bulb (if you have one) to see fuel spilling out. If there is fuel there, nip the union back up and then loosen one injector union and wrap a rag around it. Crank the engine. You should dampen the rag significantly as the engine cranks. If no fuel there then suspect the immobiliser or stop solenoid (normally inaccessible due to pump anti-tamper armouring) or maybe a catastrophic failure of the pump. A Lucas/Delphi pump can fail catastrophically and give these symptoms, especially if it has ever had vegetable oil near it.

These tests are for the XUD9 or DW8 (old school) diesel only and they MUST NEVER be performed on an HDi of any sort as damage and/or injury may result. If you have any doubts what engine is fitted, take a quick picture of it and pop it up on here for a positive ID.

If an HDi, the glowplugs are not an issue really as the HDi only needs them when it's very cold, normally below freezing.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...