Lumpy C5 - now resolved.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

My wife's French and we are there all the time. I kent I kint her frae somewhaur.

I have an album or two too, I think.

Check out.

I went to see and check them out Emily Loizeaux and Thomas Fersen at the Francos this year. Saw a Londerner geezer and american blues singere. The gezzer, Charlie Winston (big in France unknown here, says it all) he was pish, Susan Tedachi on the otherhand was superb.

As for bulbs I got the knack. Struggled to start off with but as I have replaced them so many times, I got the hang of undoing the clip. It's fairly simple. That was after paying £69 to get the bulb changed at the dealer the time before. They told me they had to take the bumper off. More pish.

Yes I have been fleeced by dealers. One of whom, as far as I can see sells citroens but knows sod all about them. Was just under £100, 94 or 96 quid if I recall. They needed the car the whole day to do that !!!!!!

Really have lost interest in dealers having been loyal for so long. Another recent example had oil and filter changed at French dealer. And then the underytray falls off and disintergrates on the dual carageway in a storm and I find that EVERY single one of the round clips holding the engine cover on for 8 years have fallen off since they had their mitts on them.

Do you think I could order more and an idea to cost?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

boristhespie wrote:My wife's French and we are there all the time. I knew I kint her frae somewhere.

I have an album or two too, I think.
You think! Good god man, she's a goddess amongst us mere mortals. :D

A guy I met at the concert has just sent me a DVD of her first concert - very nice of him :)

Check out.

I went to see and check them out Emily Loizeaux and Thomas Fersen at the Francos this year. Saw a Londerner geezer and american blues singere. The gezzer, Charlie Winston (big in France unknown here, says it all he was pish, Susan Tedachi on the otherhand was superb).

Heard of Charlie - things went terribly wrong for him in the US but he has a fair amount of success and followers in France, it seems.
The others I don't know, except Susan Tedesci but I can't quite get away with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to the lights. I have located the handbook and it tells us that you:
Turn the key to "Accessories"
Turn the lighting control stalk to "O"
Press the end of the stalk until you hear the "bong".

As Paul-R said above though, not sure if this is enabled on the LX. Worth a shot though.
On all my cars except the BX I have bodged the lights Volvo-fashion, prefer them on as much as possible.
The BX though - the instruments lit up while the engine was running, making you think that the exterior lights were on - not so :oops:
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

OOOOOoooo besotted aren't we?

In case anyone is wondering who we are on about....

Mylene

Susan at the concert I was at.

THomas

Emily

AND THE BAD!!!

I know it's not car related but surely we can digress briefly.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

boristhespie wrote:OOOOOoooo besotted aren't we?

In case anyone is wondering who we are on about....

AND THE BAD!!!

I know it's not car related but surely we can digress briefly.
Why not the XM-L group do it all the time which is wot makes it so entertaining :-)
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

myglaren wrote:Mine are type 2 but pretty much emulate type 1 inasmuch as they are on most of the time, even in very bright sunlight, which I consider to be a good thing as drivers dazzled by low sun can see the light sources before they see the car coming towards them.

They only seem to go off if it is overcast but bright.!
Interesting. Mine most certainly stay off during the day and come on pretty much correct when it gets dark (in the gloaming!) or going into a tunnel. On a very few occasions I have had to put the sidelights on when it's been a bit hesitant during a very slow transition to darkness.

When I have the wipers on they come on more easily - I wnder if this is where yours is getting its bum information from.

And as for French pop music - I travel through France a lot and I think it's absolutely desperate.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I find mine are on a lot more now than when I first bought the car but as said it doesn't bother me at all.

After four sweeps of the wipers they come on anyway.
I have an idea that several flashes of the main beams will do it too.

My autowipers don't work, either the sensor or the bsi. I can live without. Same with the reversing lights, will sort them one day.

A few years ago I would have agreed with your assessment of French music but after discovering Myléne I found that I had a fair bit here without realising it. Mostly the McGarrigles (Quebecoise).
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

myglaren wrote:After four sweeps of the wipers they come on anyway.
Never heard of that. Maybe they're pushing the dirt over the light sensor? :roll:
myglaren wrote:My autowipers don't work, either the sensor or the bsi. I can live without.
Don't bother to get them working. Mine annoyed me so much that I switched them off with the Lexia. Now they're just a simple intermittent setting and so much better for it.
myglaren wrote:would have agreed with your assessment of French music but after discovering Myléne I found that I had a fair bit here without realising it. Mostly the McGarrigles (Quebecoise).
Hm, I'll reserve judgement on that. My exposure is via Radio Nostalgie (which my wife likes) and the various Autoroute Radio sevices ( which I suffer for the traffic jam information).

There's one which I particularly dislike sung by a breathy female which just seems to string together a list of names and then in the chorus talks about wishing she'd been around to see the "punks with flowers in their hair". Makes me froth whenever I hear it - don't they realise that punks despised hippies?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

|Eh you talking about Sandie Thom fae NAirn? Not exaclty French.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Paul-R wrote:
myglaren wrote:After four sweeps of the wipers they come on anyway.
Never heard of that. Maybe they're pushing the dirt over the light sensor? :roll:
It is because legally, in conditions of reduced lighting or visibility, you should drive with dipped headlights and rain reduces visibility ergo lights should be on.

My father in law was fined £50 for driving without lights while it was raining, about 15 years ago. Hadn't heard of that requirement prior to that, neither had he but of course that counts for nothing as far as the law is concerned.
Irritates me to see police cars flying around without lights in pouring rain though.
Hm, I'll reserve judgement on that. My exposure is via Radio Nostalgie (which my wife likes) and the various Autoroute Radio sevices ( which I suffer for the traffic jam information).

There's one which I particularly dislike sung by a breathy female which just seems to string together a list of names and then in the chorus talks about wishing she'd been around to see the "punks with flowers in their hair". Makes me froth whenever I hear it - don't they realise that punks despised hippies?
I will agree that a lot of it is crap, as is most "consumer" music anywhere.
I thought it unfortunate that the Myléne song posted by Boris fell into that category - even some of her stuff is to be found wanting :( The video at least is cheesy to the max, surprised she let herself in for that.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I thought it unfortunate that the Myléne song posted by Boris fell into that category - even some of her stuff is to be found wanting The video at least is cheesy to the max, surprised she let herself in for that.
You should see more of her stuff on YOUTUBE which is very much along the same lines. She's been going for donkeys years.

Like the Daddy of them all and still tax evading at 66, I give you, The Johnny That is Halliday

The French love this geezer, especially those who wear sleaveless sweaty T-Shirts and have tufts of hair hanging out. Male and female.

Pity we can't embed here.

Where do you know susan tedaschi frae?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have everything she has done, both on CD and DVD. just got "Un Concert" earlier this week from someone at the concert.

Susan Tedesci was a recommendation from an American forum, came about due to my interest in Happy Rhodes", another interesting character and great-niece of Cecil Rhodes. She gave the name to the genre "Ecto" from her debut album and Mylene has got lumped in with ecto singers mainly by her (predominantly) gay following.
Funny old world, really :)

I have to say though that the video for Apelle Mon Numero is seriously cheesy and very unlike most of her other videos. Some of the onstage stuff can be a bit naff too, especially the dancers :(

Anyway, enough from the FCF Arts and Entertainments department, how did it go with the Bosch centre and the code checking?
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I got the codes which I posted on a new thread called CODES interestingly enought. They cleared them and want me to go back so will be going back this weekend. They want to see if they reoccur. Well the engine light did come on for three days but today it's off again so I guess there is and issue. It reeks a bit.
I know one is to do with MAF.

P0380 Preheating relay

P0537 Accelerator pedal jammed

P0571 Brake Contact Signal

P0101 Air Mass Sensor

P0100 Flow sensor signal

P0401 EGR Circuit

The accelerator jammed may be because the Dealer in looking for the lack of power fault charged me £100 to tighten the cable.

Could the Brake Contact Signal come from the brake pads being worn?

IF the MAF error telling me the MAF has detected some problem or that the MAF is buggered? How much do these thingies cost. Heard it was a fair bit.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sorry, I do recall you posting the codes and thought you would have been back to them. Sometimes the days pass like hours, other times like months. Seemed to be a while back.

What does it smell of?
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Just exhaust fumes. Out the back.

It's been almost week since been there, I work 2 hours from home so up and away at 5 back by 7.30. Not had time to pop in with car.

Will post them up whe I get them. Just worried it will be something EXPENSIVE again. But love the car, really do. Sad git.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Does it use any oil? Or water?
Diesel exhaust could never be confused with a floral bouquet but it shouldn't be that bad! Any smoke?

It does sound very awkward for you to get the car to the workshop without taking time off work, rarely popular.