Lumpy C5 - now resolved.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

steelcityuk wrote: I'm told there's countless fake MAF sensors out there and the only way to be sure of a genuine one is to buy from a dealer.

Steve.
Yup and we have one, no warning codes or lights but the car does not perform right, shudders slightly on idel when cold and have very little pull below 2krpm. All was resolved with a genuine Citroen unit.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

So it is confirmed then that there are fakes and they do make the HDi behave strangely.

I was under the impression that the cam sensor was used to check for engine rotation before allowing it to start - maybe also as a damage limitation device if the cambelt slips and the sync is lost with the crank sensor? Also wouldn't the size of the flywheel would exaggerate any non linear rotation better than a small rotor like the cam sensor?

Steve.
not applicable
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

steelcityuk wrote:
I was under the impression that the cam sensor was used to check for engine rotation before allowing it to start - maybe also as a damage limitation device if the cambelt slips and the sync is lost with the crank sensor?
Thats kind of right, the cam sensor is only for for telling the ECU of the cam position for initial firing of the 1st injector. It has no effect on the running of the engine whatsoever after the engine is started, you can disconnect it once the engine is running without any problems (apart from possibly the engine management light) , It just wont restart again once you switch it off/stall the engine.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I haven't done anything about the rough idling (original post) until today when I had the codes read. The engine managemenr light has never come on, other than the brief test at ignition-on.
Only one code recorder (which has been cleared):
P1521. Variable intake solenoid #1 malfunction/EDC15c2-clutch sensor.

Any comments welcom.

I'm pleased that it only seems to be a duff solenoid (if it really is that) and not the valvetrain as my usual mechanic seemed to think.

Will have the solenoid replaced and get the EGR, boost valve/solenoid checked/cleaned/replaced as appropriate and all the associated pipework checked/cleand/replaced the same, after which, fingers crossed it will run smoothly and with better economy and noticably more boost from the turbo.

Clutch sensor? What clutch sensor :?:
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Strange eh? Were the codes read with a dealer tool or aftermarket - Sykes, Launch, etc.

I'm was wondering if the code is 'true'?

Steve.
not applicable
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Brand new Snap-on reader.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is looking like an EGR problem.

Car going on Monday and I have asked them to pull the EGR, boost valve and solenoid, waste gate, all the pipework and any associated bits including the intercooler and pipes, clean, check and replace where appropriate.

Better than lifting the head if it is unwarranted.

After the work has been done and presuming the fault is gone :shock: then they will clear any fault codes so when I collect the car I can start it up and then take it for a run around of around 100~150 miles to get the ECU to learn my driving style. Hopefully this will restore the heap to the way it is supposed to perform.

May even clean it after that :twisted:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Fixed - was a duff injector as I suspected from the start.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Gratifying that your original diagnosis was correct.

Somewhere in the thread, you mentioned leakback - is this an in-situ test done on the injectors whilst engine running? Was the test ever done, or wasn't it conclusive? And second question, do you find the engine quieter now the duff injector's sorted?

Honest John has something to say about DMFs in today's D Telegraph Motoring Supplement - sooner the industry gets rid of them the better

Cheers - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yes, leakback is an in-situ test performed while the engine is running.
George did the leakback test and then had a colleague confirm the results.

I have no good reason to have suspected the injector, just a gut feeling, and was quite prepared to believe that it could be a dud sensor/sticking EGR or whatever.

The injector just wasn't injecting any fuel into the cylinder :(

The engine is very much quieter now - it was quite embarrassing the racket it was making prior to the repair.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Thaks very much. I asked about the noise because just this week a friend had problems with his Freelander, with intermittent difficult starting and a noisey diesel knock. Had to have a reconditioned injector, and alls well again, and engine MUCH quieter

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
boristhespie
My Cars:

Aw oh

Post by boristhespie »

So my C5 has been having problems with power. LAst Friday it seemed like awhole new car. It had great response, the power was there on tap. I had no idea why.

Today, again great but it couldn't last. I now I have an engine management light for injection system/ant polution system.Worried obviously given I can't get to garage due to work. All I know is that I have a car now that works really well, but has now got a light, instead of car which doesn;t work really well but has no light.

Any thoughts Myglaren?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'd say that you have the best of the two alternatives now.

Other than that it would be wild guessing, faults rarely cure themselves. Sorry.

It seems contradictory that you have an engine management warning now, when it is going well. Previously I wondered if you might have a blocked cat - has anything occurred that may have fixed that (Italian Tune-Up or a very long run) - the antipollution warning should have been triggered by that, maybe it is a delayed response.
Otherwise as someone else mentioned, something preventing the turbo from running properly and it has freed up. Could you hear the turbo before, can you hear it now?

It is a shame that you are so far north and away from anyone who could read and clear your fault codes.
boristhespie
My Cars:

okay

Post by boristhespie »

Well yes something did happen which I thought may have had an effect. If you recall the front undertray fell off (the garage hadn't put it back right) anyway last thursday we had major flooding. Travelling the 60 miles to Aberdeen, where I work the roads were like a river and I had to regularly go through deep water. It was just after this run, on the way home that night and going through more water that the car started felling different. it was almost instant not a gradula build up of power. So I thought maybe the water had done something. A long shot.

As for the turbo, I don't know what it sounds like.

That said I notice no real difference in the engine noise from before.

If the flooding washed out the cat (if that is possible) then maybe that could be it???????
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No, the water didn't wash out the cat.

Your daily 60 mile runs should keep the cat clean anyway.

A long shot but being rapidly cooled by the floodwater may have loosened some soot in it but it isn't really very likely -though they do get very hot. You are more likely to suck water into the engine through the rather silly inverted snorkel of an air intake :(

You should hear a high pitched whistle from the turbo. It isn't very noticeable in mine, have to have a window open and the stereo off.

Are there no decent workshops in Aberdeen?