Xantia Mark 2 - changing lock barrels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Xantia Mark 2 - changing lock barrels

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,

Thought a separate post might be best... anyone ever changed the ignition barrel in a Mark 2 Xantia and know if the key blade contains a chip and Citroen must reprogram car to work with it? Heard rumours of it, but not sure if true. Want to change lock barrels on parents' new car and found cheap set with keys at breakers, but don't know if ignition one will work or reprogramming required.

Thanks
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

There is a chip in the key on S2 Xantia's, you'll need the four digit code from the code card to re-programme the keys, dealer job generally unless you can find someone with access to a Lexia. Whereabouts are you as some forum members possess them.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks for that info, glad I hadn't yet bought any barrels. They don't have the code card unfortunately, wasn't with car when they bought it. I'm in North Wales but the car is in Spain.

Bit confused about it all as it's new to me. I gather that the car has a code built in, and that key fobs and key blade chips have same code in them to correspond with the car's. If you change a fob, do they reprogram the fob to the car's code, or change the car's code to match the fob? Apparently the fob circuit board has a connector socket on it. And if you change the ignition lock barrel, do they somehow reprogram the chip in the key blade, or do they reprogram the car? Thing is, I was going to get them a second hand fob from eBay and get them to go to a spanish citroen garage and ask them to reprogram whichever they reprogram, but then wondered if they reprogram the car and that means the key blade chip would also need doing, because if I then get them new locks and keys, the old fob might need reprogramming again!

Most urgent thing is to get their fob working, the original has broken PCB, part with switches on broken off apparently. Just got to ask their local Citroen garage if they can and will reprogram it (or car, or whatever they do).
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The car has a pre-set code made up of a combination of four numbers/letters, when adding new keys or remotes the diagnostic tool (Lexia) asks how many keys and remotes are to be programmed then each one is programmed in turn for both the immobiliser and remote, the car code remains the same as its linked into the engine ecu.

In your instance was the car UK supplied or Spanish? In either case if you quote the chassis number to a dealer you can obtain the code (costs £15 in the UK) alternatively if a dealer is doing the re-programming they'll obtain the code for you at the same time.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Ah, I understand now. The car is Spanish registered, but at least I know they can provide the code from what you've said. Are the fobs reprogrammed via the connector on the PCB, and if so, how are the key blade chips programmed?
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The fobs & keys are programed using the diagnostic tool which puts the cars ECU's into a learning mode, the machine then asks you to press the remote buttons & syncronises both the signals. The keyblade is programed similarly, the machine asks you to switch the ignition on & the cars CPH unit writes the code into the key (via the transponder aerial) with RF signals.