ECU Reset

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidgoodwin1803
My Cars:

ECU Reset

Post by davidgoodwin1803 »

hi guys i am fitting a new particulate filter on wednesday, will the ecu know this or will it need to be reset.

if it needs resetting can i do this myself, if so how.

thanks david
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Don't believe you need an ECU reset for the p filter. It has sensors to measure pressure drop and temp and uses these to decide if needs a regen to burn off carbon or if pressure drop due build up of eolys residue is too great and replacement required.

On later models when refilling the eolys tank you do need to enter quatity added as it uses a count down method to decide when tank is empty. Earlier cars have a float level and use this to decide when tank empty.

On both models I think you require a reset to clear any eolys level low etc messages that come up if you don't keep the tank topped up.

Regards

John
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I believe that some very early versions of the ECU can't be reset, and do have to be replaced, but very nearly all can be reset by a dealer (or anyone else with a Lexia).
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: ECU Reset

Post by wheeler »

davidgoodwin1803 wrote:hi guys i am fitting a new particulate filter on wednesday, will the ecu know this or will it need to be reset.

if it needs resetting can i do this myself, if so how.

thanks david
You have to tell the car that you are putting a new filter on the car & you need a Lexia or Proxia to do it (i dont know if any aftermarket tools can do it). There is a paramiter in the ECU - 'amount of additive placed in filter' this has to be reset to 0 grams to say its a new filter. Yes the ECU reads the up & downstream pressures but it still thinks the filter is being clogged up by the additive unless you tell it that it's new.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Early cars had a 50K recommended mileage for filter replacement.

However, many have done 100k plus without pressure drop warnings coming up. Others have done less, which leads me to believe it is purely pressure drop measurement, at least on the mark 1 cars.

Some owners have also successfully cleaned their own filters using pressure washers without I believe resetting any ecu parameters.

John