Throttle cable woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

Throttle cable woes

Post by Bren »

I had diagnosed the throttle cable as the cause of a sticking throttle - on closer inspection it was considerably frayed, and would have necessitated a call to the AA sooner or later.

As it was a saturday I knew my local factor would get me one, which they did for £17. However, the alarm bells were ringing when I picked it up as it was also suitable for a 406, and bore little similarity to my cable.

What should have been a half hour job became a nightmare - fitting is straightforward, however the cable was well over size and came with a collection of spigots etc which did not look anything like mine.

The cable is fitted, however the pedal is "floppy" and I dont have full throttle openings - that black cylinder that clips to the airbox has a return spring ( careful - I took mine apart - the spring is under a fair bit of tension) does not come with the kit.

So a trip to the stealers is in order for a genuine item - I normally give my local factor my business, however I feel let down big time over this and while I won't get a refund I will let him know that this cable is no good for that particular application.

Does anybody know how much an OE part is? Is it a straight replacement or Do I have to get the sidecutters out again?
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Theres only a few different genuine cables for the whole citroen range & they come as a kit with different ends that you make up to suit the car.
they are about £35 + vat
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If you can, get to your local independant bicycle shop with your old cable (just the inner metal bit, carefully removed from the white plastic pedal clip).
Find a matching bicycle gear cable, the metal block on the end needs to be the same size as your old cable so it can fit in the plastic pedal clip.
Our local shop sells suitable cables for under £3.

Back at the car, fit the plastic pedal clip to the new cable, then feed the cable through the hole by your feet, out into the engine bay via the old cable's sheath.
Then through the spring loaded barrel, and through the rest of the old sheath into the throttle arm.
Tie up the excess length of cable, don't cut it as this leads to fraying.
Job done, takes 5 minutes.
Cassy's had one for a year now and still going strong.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

even the dealer cable comes as a kit nowadays,

sounds to me like you have cut the inner cable to long, you dont need that spingy capsule, you use just the parts of the kit to suite your car as close to the old one as possible,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

I am in Cheshire Malcolm - I understand what you are saying about the cable being too long, however it has been shortened a couple of times (on its first outing I could'nt believe how much it had stretched - I had to turn round and get my wife's car - I hardly had any throttle opening). As the spring / cylinder is missing it appears that only the lever on the pump is allowing the cable / pedal to return to its "at rest" position - not ideal surely?
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they dont usualy stretch well not by a noticable amount anyhow,
what probably happened was when fitting the outer cable possibly did not seat into the plastic ends completly, so on first time or so of pressing the throtle it pulled both ends home, to vut these inner cables i get it in the jaws of an old pair of side citters just were i needs to be cut off, hold the cutters on there side on the side face of a club hammer and hit the other side jaw with another hammer (not leanning it on the top of the head lamp ),

and yes i do have two hammers

regards malcolm