What is this on my VSX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

What is this on my VSX

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
found this lurking on n/s/f behind the bumper when i removed it :) :)

Any ideas what it is and what it does :?

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Colin,

That's your charcoal canister :) Part of the anti-polloution tackle fitted to petrol engines.

What it does is it stores petrol vapours from the tank, preventing them venting to the atmosphere when the filler cap is removed and the tank is being filled. Petrol vapours venting to the atmpshere resluts in the emission of very large concentrations of HCs (Hydrocarbons) into the atmosphere and is the worst form of automotive polloution. Charcoal canisters are good fairies as they do no performance harms whatsoever to the engine and actually do a lot of good :D I approve of them!

When the engine runs, under ECU control, the vapours stored in the canister are sucked into the engine and burned. The brown device is the purge electrovalve and off-times woul can hear it buzzing as the ECU activates it to allow the fumes to be purged out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks for that Jim will leave well alone and just bolt bumper back on and forget i ever saw it :lol: :lol:

Colin