C5 Replacement keys and fobs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Joe Pineapples
My Cars:

C5 Replacement keys and fobs

Post by Joe Pineapples »

Greetings brothers and sisters,
I'm just about to pick up a clean, low mileage, one owner C5 hdi this week to replace the disaster that has been the Xsara hdi that, in turn, replaced my beloved Xantia TD.

The C5 in question only has one key and I can't seem to find anywhere, other than ebay, that can supply me with a replacement.
Obviously I'd rather avoid my local main dealer (and not just because it's an Arnold Clark franchise, but that's another matter entirely!:evil: ).

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers.
J.
'02 C5 HDi LX
'00 Xsara HDi SX (For Sale)
'97 Xantia Temptation TD (RIP)
'00 Kawasaki ZX6-R
'71 Girlfriend
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Some C5s have two plip keys, however a lot only have one and a normal key (looks like that of a Saxo).

Do you have the plip or the normal key? If you have the plip them a replacement normal key for the spare shoud be quite inexpensive.

However the chip will need coding to your car, so thats a trip to the dealer, or some locksmiths might be able to do it.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Joe Pineapples
My Cars:

Post by Joe Pineapples »

Hi Citroenmad,
The car does indeed have the plipper key, but I'm not sure if a C5 has an alarm fitted as standard, as my old Xantia used to have.

Can anyone enlighten me?
'02 C5 HDi LX
'00 Kawasaki ZX6-R
'71 Girlfriend
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I dont think an LX spec will have an alarm, If it does there will be ultrasonic sensors in the roof.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Nope, your LX wont have an alarm, my Sx doest, i think it was on the Exclusive though.

Odd how car manufacturers have gone away from fitting alarms as standard fit now.

So you should be ok getting a normal key, unless you want two plip keys of course.

Both our C5s have one plip and one normal key.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Joe Pineapples
My Cars:

Post by Joe Pineapples »

Well 2 plipper keys would be nice, but I'll settle for just an ordinary spare.

Thanks for the info, folks.
'02 C5 HDi LX
'00 Kawasaki ZX6-R
'71 Girlfriend
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

My C5 came with two plips but I had one of them stolen. That was two years ago so I think the car is safe enough now. I recently bought a three button plip off ebay and changed the blade to match the car. When I was at the dealers having a fault code looked at, I asked if they could reprogramme the new plip to match the car. They tried but failed. Buying off ebay seems to be a waste of time.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Joe Pineapples
My Cars:

Post by Joe Pineapples »

I'll bear that in mind, John. Thanks.
'02 C5 HDi LX
'00 Kawasaki ZX6-R
'71 Girlfriend
captaintau
My Cars:

Re: C5 Replacement keys and fobs

Post by captaintau »

For my new 2001 C5 I have just one key with the fob but the buttons on the fob don't work. I've replaced the battery. I'm seeking a working fob for the central locking and also a spare key, with or without fob.

Is my only option to go to a dealer and pay lots of money?
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Search:- http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=43271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
not long ago I started a big debate as to whether a used fob can be re programmed to another car and some said yes,some said no.The answer does however seem to be no,once it has been programmed to it's original car,it can never be re programmed to another car and so for that instance,yes it is a waste of money buying a used fob off e bay...for spare hard keys for locking/unlocking/starting the car, there is a great site, http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...you can take a digital photo of your key and they will not only cut you a spare from the pic,but also supply you with the mechanical key code if you do not have it. I did this and got the key code as well as a perfect working key...It will need to be programmed with a lexia to the ecu but even someone as daft as me has been able to do it.......as for fobs, My cheapest was £140........citroen wante £280.....not likely.........good luck.....also, check out this page from an auto locksmith on e bay, makes interesting reading....all the people selling used fobs telling you they just need re programming don't know what they are talking about..

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Remot ... 0008685294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C5 X7
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Unfortunately Deano, I think they DO know what they are talking about. I had a similar problem with a Saab key and fob. I did some research and managed to avoid getting ripped off. I managed to get a new key and remote fob all coded to the car for
£120.
Rick.

deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

qprdude, did you not click on the e bay link and read it?? also,you were part of the big debate as to whether a fob can be reprpgrammed to a C5 and it most definitely cannot, so, my point about e bay sellers not knowing what they are talking about saying it just needs re programming is spot on, because It CANNOT be re programmed to another car?? I don't understand your comment cos you were part of my original posting on this subject?? also,I did say that I could obtain a fob programmed and cut for £140,so nit much above your price for your saab key,my point is,unless you just need the case to put in your internal electronics, buying a used C5 fob off e bay is a waste of money, and indeed,the sellers do no know what they are talking about telling the buyer it just needs re programming because it can't be done.....I would be really pleased if anybody on here can tell me this is wrong because I did it,I bought a 2nd hand fob off e bay,stupidly,and after numerous attempts to pair it to my car, I find out it is impossible? you need a virgin key, they can only ever be paired to one C5??
C5 X7
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Deano, it was tongue in cheek mate. They know exactly what they are saying, not what they are saying is right. As I said, I've been there and did my research . I can't understand why they are still selling, or more to the point, why anyone is still buying. (Do you understand my comment now?)
Saab told me the same thing. Once your key and remote are programmed to the car, it's there for life.
I was actually pleasantly surprised, having heard horror stories about BMW and Merc charging hundreds of pounds for a new remote/key. I had tried various suppliers but in the end, the manufacturers were about the same price, and absolutely guaranteed to work.
Rick.

deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
yes I understand what you are saying, seems sites like ebay should tighten up the ads that are allowed to be placed,because I have been told exactly the same thing about the programming...The trouble is citroen are by no means cheap. but like I said, a local auto locksmith will cut and program a remote for £140.00,half the price citroen want......If somebody can do it for that price and citroen charge double,I would feel I was being ripped off by citroen and would never go to them for this....... :-D
C5 X7