LHM FLUID

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren wrote: The obvious solution would be that the reservoir is overfilled. Can you bleed some LHM out of the system and see if the indicator falls? Bleed a litre off the brakes is probably the simplest way - observe the usual precautions for hydropneumatic cars.

Failing that it may have suffered mechanical damage at the hands of a bodger and need replacing. Should be plenty around in scrapyards.

It is very messy which could be a side effect of being overfilled. More isn't always better Evil or Very Mad
Xantic wrote: Is it going to cause any problems with being overfilled..?
Could i not syphon some from the LHM tank with a syringe maybe..

The only real problem is it slopping around and making a mess, dribbling onto your driveway and making the engine bay an unpleasant place to be.

You can siphon it off, of course, no problem with that as long as you don't swallow any in the process. I don't think it is a useful addition to a calorie-controlled diet. If you use the brake-bleed method it will give you an indication of how mucky it is and if it is likely to need changing.

If you do, the first few hundred ml's are likely to be pretty black, disregard this and look for clean, green loveliness coming through then move on to the next caliper.

ETA:
Fixed a coding error in the quote function and cleverly lost your post altogetther Xantic.
the text is still there as a quote though :oops:
Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Post by Xantic »

myglaren wrote:The obvious solution would be that the reservoir is overfilled. Can you bleed some LHM out of the system and see if the indicator falls? Bleed a litre off the brakes is probably the simplest way - observe the usual precautions for hydropneumatic cars.

Failing that it may have suffered mechanical damage at the hands of a bodger and need replacing. Should be plenty around in scrapyards.

It is very messy which could be a side effect of being overfilled. More isn't always better :evil:

If i left it as it is will it cause problems, The ride at the moment is nice and soft so i do not want to upset it and get covered in LHM..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It shouldn't be disturbed by losing a half litre or so from there. If you have a helper, diverting the return line from your steering ram into a suitable container may be a simple way to drop the level. One person directs the flow while the other (engine running) wiggles the steering.

Regards, Adam.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It won't affect the ride height or softness of the ride, just spill out - IF it is the case that it is overfilled.

Personally, as it is a simple operation, I'd be drawing some fluid off the reservoir to see if the indicator then does operate as it should as if it is stuck then it is possible that the level could fall too low without you being forewarned.

If it operates then just fill to the recommended level. Check the colour though as it is a very good indicator of how long the LHM has been in use and if it is due for renewing.
Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Post by Xantic »

The colour is a nice green..Looks very clean to me..As i have only had the car a short time perhaps i might leave it as it is for now then to see if the level drops, or at least until i have time syphon some off..

Thanks all for your help it is appreciated..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Penguin wrote:Since then, I have noticed on a few occaissions that the STOP light briefly flickers, usually when pulling away from steep road junctions, then goes out. The flickering lasts for less than a second and everything 'appears' OK.
OK, this never really went away but as it happened so rarely I ignored it :oops: . Anyhoo, it now appears to be happening more. The flickering still only lasts for probably les than a second and is more pronounced when accelerating around a corner that then goes uphill steeply although, recently, have noticed it happening occasionally on sharp bends. Fluid levels seem fine. Any other ideas?

Cheers chaps
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
leithant
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by leithant »

The light an come on for other things like the coolant level, I think. Does a light flash on the temp gauge, and have you checked the coolant level lately?
06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
95 Peugeot 306 S16
95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased :-(
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

leithant wrote:The light an come on for other things like the coolant level, I think. Does a light flash on the temp gauge, and have you checked the coolant level lately?
No the light doesn't flash on the temp guage and the coolant level looks OK to me.

It may be my imagination or the route I use most often, but it SEEMS to happen more when the engine is cold. Like I say this may just be a red herring.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Just thought I would add (in case its relevant to my problem) the car seems quite 'bouncy' at the moment. It may not be any bouncier than it has been in the past and it may just be that I'm noticing it more, but I'm not sure. The problem is, this is my first Xantia and although I've had it 18 months I don't really know what the 'magic carpet ride' should feel like. When I first bouhgt the car I had the 3 spheres at the front changed, LHM replaced and the tank and filters cleaned.

Having said all that, I haven't been doing my Citrobics for a while (I live on a hill, surrounded by hills so am loathe to do it at home). Would that make it bouncier?
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, a lack of regular Citarobics could well make it feel a bit bouncy. The task performed by Citarobics is to disperse entrained air from the system. Air is compressible so will feel bouncy.

I assume your car is not Hydractive Penguin? In that case, the only other cause of bounciness is worn spheres and I expect if you have no record of the rear corners having been changed then they may well be up for renewal. Whilst the fronts are easy by comparason, the rears can be a tad more difficult and are often, for this very reason, overlooked/ignored. Worn rear spheres will show up as bouncy more than the fronts.

Come to one of the rallies (Stratford this weekend) and I'm sure one of us will be very happy to demonstrate a magic carpet for you :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for the invite Jim but the roads around here (Torbay) are a nightmare on Bank Holidays and I ain't leaving my house this weekend!!

I'll try and give it some citrobics over this weekend and see if that cures it. Otherwise I'll look into rear spheres.

No clues on the flashing STOP light though I suppose?

Cheers
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's possible that the hydraulic pressure is dropping under heavy demand and bringing the warning light on. The most likely cause is a slipping auxiliary belt especially as it happens when cold, but there are other possible causes, such as a damaged pressure release valve seat. How often does the pressure regulator tick?
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

dnsey wrote:It's possible that the hydraulic pressure is dropping under heavy demand and bringing the warning light on. The most likely cause is a slipping auxiliary belt especially as it happens when cold, but there are other possible causes, such as a damaged pressure release valve seat. How often does the pressure regulator tick?
Ooh that sounds like an interesting suggestion. I'll check for ticks over the weekend. Just so I get this right, I leave the engine running, have the suspension set to normal and then just listen for clicks at the front end?
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Just so I get this right, I leave the engine running, have the suspension set to normal and then just listen for clicks at the front end?
That's about it :)
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Oh dear! I really don't think I'm cut out for mechanicy stuff (or Citroen ownership?) as I can't hear any ticking over the rattle of the mighty 1.9td engine :oops:

I like your theory though dnsey as it all started after our MoT place thought they would do me a favour and tighten up a 'leak' on one of the hydraulic lines somewhere in the engine bay. The pipe split, LHM covered his entire garage floor and my car was off the road for 4 days whilst they tried to fix it. Eventually they fitted a new one. Problem is I think he was somewhat confused by the Citroen so may have done something wrong.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX