XM's....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

XM's are nice, and if I had not gone for the Activa, I might have got one!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

The Activa has always apealed to me, ive never driven one but a bloke up the road from me had a silver N plater , it looked the pups nuts with nice subtle alloys, side skirts and morretts when i saw the for sale sign i did go and have a look............until i saw the price of 2.5k.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

This has become a very interesting thread!

Andrew, you might be right, maybe a S1 car to join the fleet at some point might be nice, to discover what a S1 is all about. However i am more of a S2 person.

Actually, some things mentioned in the S1 plus points id have in the S2 points! S2, for me, has a nicer spoiler (more subtle), better shaped door mirrors (never liked the boxy ones) and i prefer the front grill and bumper on the S2 cars also. Not a fan of the S2 wheel trims though, the S1 are far nicer - shame wobby webs are not in more supply.

However, im now switched on opinion with the S1 dash, i really quite like it now, it goes well with the style and age of the car, has some quirky features (headlight knob, 1 spoke wheel - early models) etc. I do really like the S2 interior, but its a little bland when compared to the S1. S1 bodies seem to suffer less than the 2s with rust around the arches, I do believe.

I recently learned about a white Xm sitting on a ind. estate not too far from me. Having been convinced i had not seen another xm in the area for quite some time, and never another white one, i went to have a look. Indeed there is, its a late S1 (L reg) in white, which looks to have a TurboD badge on the wing (didnt get too close) Looks in great condition apart from the fact its obviously been stood there quite some time, its all intact though. Maybe it wants rescuing!

I was under the impression that S1.5 cars have the H2 suspension? In which case it should switch between normal and sport when needed even though normal/auto is selected?

Safety is a thing for me, its nice to know airbags and ABS are there if the worst should happen. However given that a Xantia gets the rating from the EuroNcap of 1 star, I would have liked to know just how the Xm performs in that respect. That long front must be good for safety!

Dean, shouldn’t that be on the front! :lol:

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

There seems to be confusion amongst some owners about the normal/sport behaviour.

S1:
Switch in "Normal". Suspension in comfort mode, but changes automatically to sport (ie cuts out the centre spheres) when driving conditions require.
Switch in "Sport". Suspension permanently in sport.

S2:
Switch in "Normal". Same as for the S1.
Switch in "Sport". Suspension remains in comfort mode, but changes to sport at lower parameters than for "Normal".
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Derek? Thats what ive never understood with the MK2, why have 2 auto/normal settings????

Thinking of rescueing one then CitMad? and coming over to the dark side :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It doesn't, it has one fast reaction time setting and one slower, both stiffen the suspension but the 'sport' setting increases the system sensitivity thus stiffening it much more quickly, permitting more spirited driving.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Hi Dean, yes it's me :lol: . As Peter wrote, the "sport" setting on S2s is more sensitive than the normal.

For example, in normal at a given speed a steering wheel angle of 20 degrees would stiffen the suspension, in sport at the same speed a steering wheel angle of 9 degrees would make it stiffen up.

I could publish the full set of tables if anyone's interested, but deciphering them is a bit like knitting bedsocks out of cigarette smoke. There again, after your experience of dismantling an autobox, you'd find it a piece of cake!

Derek

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Thought it was you, how many black V6's can there be :lol:
I still dont see why they changed it, and got rid of the mk1 setup where sport puts it in sport and Auto keeps it soft and comphy untill you hit a big bump or fling the car into a corner, the mk 2 still has two auto settings in effect, one will just switch hard sooner than the other?!?!?!? and two electovalves, why? i dont understand the benifit it could have.........

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It needs an electrovalve for each axle pair's centre sphere.

The main "benefit" of Hydractive in any incarnation is a nice soft ride when you're not fanging it.

French Leave - if you mean the conditional requirements for Hydractive to cut in or out - I'm extremely interested! Got similar specs for an Activa ECU?

Regards, Adam.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Adamn

The MK1 XM used 1 electrovalve remotely positioned which fed hydraulic pressure via pipes to the two Hydractive valves, it is much easyer to work on and cheaper than having a seperate valve built into each hydractive block.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Addo wrote "French Leave - if you mean the conditional requirements for Hydractive to cut in or out - I'm extremely interested! Got similar specs for an Activa ECU? "

Sorry Adam, only for the XM I'm afraid although I'm sure the Activa has similar parameters. I assume I can use the trick of copying the graphs to photobucket and thence to the forum? It will take a bit of time to do so I'll put it up under a separate heading. I'm always amazed at the amount of technical info that's available on Citroens, anything from spares lists to the complete manual for the 4HP20 autobox.

Such a pity there's nothing on the 2.0 CTC turbo - and very little on the V6 with variable inlet valve timing :( .

Derek

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The S2 hydractive2 makes more sense to me.

The Xm is, afterall, designed with comfort in mind. So why would you want to make it stiffer on rough straight roads :?: However, making it stiffer and tighter aruond the bends is a good thing, especially if your in a spirited mood.

So you can still have the comfy ride on the rough bits, but round the bends the learn is reduced and it feels more sensitive to the controls too.

On country lanes i usually always have the Xm in sports mode, as i like the handling and ride. It drives much better in sports mode, really outdoes how large softly sprung cars usually drive.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10