Picked up my new (to me) C5 few faults but Happy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

h2ocooler
My Cars:

Picked up my new (to me) C5 few faults but Happy

Post by h2ocooler »

Hi All
Picked up my C5 today, wasnt the one i was looking at though, found a 2003 2.2 HDi SX auto going for a song, drives like a dream and was averaging 50.4mpg on the way home, but it does have a few faults.

First one is an airbag fault, turn on and start up then AIRBAG FAULT comes up on the display (no warning light though) and the SERVICE lights up (7800 miles to next service so not that) will have a little look at the wiring under the seats etc but are there common faults for the airbag systems on these????

Second is the Digital Climate control, i think its related to the outside temp sensor that is saying its 83 degrees C :shock: cabin temp doesnt seem to be controlled, goes cold most of the time unless i turn the heat up to 28 then it goes warm (at least the AC blows very cold air, good for the summer :D ) any thoughts on that anyone and where is the sensor for the outside temp???

Now i just have to get used to the auto lights, wipers, ESP TC & EBA :lol:

Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi,

Nice car the C5.

The temperature sensor is the bobble under the mirror (passenger side on mine).

I'd agree that the under seat connectors are a good place to start for the airbag fault.

Have you had it wind the windows up yet when it starts raining and the wipers are set to auto?

My favorite feature is the auto folding mirrors when locking the car.

Steve.
not applicable
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Very nice, as is your economy, i dont get that from the 2.0HDis!

The auto lights and wipers are a very nice feature :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Yep had the windows close on me last night when having a little play with all the toys, do like the auto lights and wipers though (need to get new wiper blades to clear the water off for it to work properly) mine doesnt have the auto folding mirrors though :( might see if they can be retro fitted and i will miss the rear wiper.

Thanks for the tip on the temp sensor, been told i can get a new one for about £14 at the dealers and replace it, will do that at the weekend.

Does anyone know if i need to get the faults cleared on the airbag system to get rid of the warning or will it clear when the fault has been fixed???
On the Xantia i had the airbag fault was from the steering wheel rotary connection, is that a common fault on these???

Rob
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

h2ocooler wrote: Does anyone know if i need to get the faults cleared on the airbag system to get rid of the warning or will it clear when the fault has been fixed???
On the Xantia i had the airbag fault was from the steering wheel rotary connection, is that a common fault on these???
Once the fault is rectified the warning light/message will go away itself although the fault will still be logged in the memory.
The C5's dont seem to suffer from underseat connection problems as it has a different type of connector & its only for the lateral airbags, the pre-tensioners are in the inertia reel rather than the stalk like on older models so there is no underseat connection for it. The rotary connections are known to fail on the C5 but its an internal part of the (very expensive) Com2000 unit & cant be replaced seperately. If you lift the carpet in the passangers front footwell & lift out the polestyrine block there are a couple of old style aibag connections, try uplugging & reconecting these connectors & if the fault goes away cut out the connetors & solder them direct. Make sure you leave the ignition off for 5 minutes then disconnect the battery for 10 minutes before touching the connections.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

steelcityuk wrote:

Have you had it wind the windows up yet when it starts raining and the wipers are set to auto?

Not sure they all do this! It doesn't seem to be a feature on my 2005 model.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Well had a quick play with the connectors under the drivers seat during lunchtime today and hey presto the airbag fault has gone ans service light is now out :lol: now just the climate control to do, strange thing with that, the temp readout was at 83 when i left work, then dropped to 76, then went to two -- up to 65 and back to 83 so it must be the sensor or the wiring to it, cant get to the stealers till tuesday to pick one up but i hope it will sort it when i replace it.

Got to get a new nearside back light as its cracked, rear seat due to a BIG stain and a spare wheel, didnt think to see if it was there when i bought the car, still never mind.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Mine has the Valeo aero style wiper blades, they look and work much better than the original normal blades :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Are the headlights self leveling on the C5, there is no adjustment for then inside.
Wondering as im thinking about a HID kit for it (it should be legal ish as they all have self leveling suspention) to see if it cures the headlamp flicker (have a theory on this but will do another post)
Rob
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

h2ocooler wrote: im thinking about a HID kit for it
Shouldn't bother - to be legal HID's also need auto-washers on the headlamps.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi,

Because the suspension is self leveling the headlights don't need to be once they are set correctly - well in theory at least. My XM has HIDs fitted and they need them, whereas I find the lights on the C5 fine as they are. I guess I don't notice the flicker anymore.

I find that coating the back and side windows (mirrors and lights too) with rain repellent is a great help.

Not sure about the autoclose window. Mine only does it when auto wipers are selected. Maybe it could be disabled/enabled using a Lexia, after all it all ties in with the BSI. As Wheeler said the com2000 unit is very expensive and they seem in demand on the used market. Watch out for the fuel computer switch breaking, treat it very gently. Mine was broken (along with the climate control panel) when I got mine.

Steve.
not applicable
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Citroenmad wrote:Mine has the Valeo aero style wiper blades, they look and work much better than the original normal blades :)
And the blades lasted twice as long as regular Valeo blades when I owned your car.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

On a C5 with (factory fit) xenon headlamps it has actual self leveling headlamps as in if you push the back down they will adjust instantly & re adjust as the suspension levels itself. The normal halogen lights dont auto adjust they just rely on the suspension leveling to keep the beam constant.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The headlights on the C5 are dreadful. It's not a lack of output, it's just a terrible beam pattern so I doubt HiDs would help. Headlights you can see by are a lost technology.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Replaced the external temp sensor today and the climate now seems to work, warm air when set to 20 instead of ice cold and was getting 9c outside temp, only took me 25 mins to replace and most of that was working out how to split the mirror without breaking it.
Had a bit of a clean up yesterday and managed to get the big stain off the rear seat plus most of the dog hairs out, need to get a big roll of tape for the rest of them though, but its now smelling fresh and dust & dirt free, also sourced a spare wheel and picking it up on tuesday.
Have to fix the odments compartment lid on the dash (hinge broken) and have another look at the airbag, the light came on after hoovering and moving the seat :( still least i know its just the loom to it.
Rob