squeeky brakes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy c5
My Cars:

squeeky brakes?

Post by andy c5 »

i have got squeeky brakes changed the rear pads but its still there not as bad and not allways doing it but still drives me daft :D
as anyone had this problem?
Thanks andy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Did the old rear pads look to be worn wedge-shaped Andy? I ask as the C5 uses a very similar set-up to the Xantia and suffers the same dis-similar metal corrosion problem between the alloy caliper and iron trailing arm.

Squeaky rears are so often caused by a build-up of corrosion pushing the calipers out of line with respect to the disc - hence the pads wearing wedge-shaped.

The solution is to have the calipers right off and give the mating faces between caliper an arm a good clean-up and smear the faces with grease. be aware that the aluminium oxide corrosion on the caliper face can be as hard as iron and not readily apparant. It might even need a sharp cold chisel to clean it up! You'll find it nearly impossible to clean them effectively unless fully removed and unfortunately, that means removing the hydraulic pipe and ensuring the bleed nipple is not seized. Normally not a problem in a Xantia with LHM-powered brakes but on a C5 using horrible conventional brake fluid which promotes corrosion and subsequent seizing of nipples, it may be another matter...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

It's probably caused by corrosion between the rear face of the aluminium caliper and the steel mounting plate. This skews the caliper and leads to the squeaking noise. Cleaning both faces and coating them with something to slow the rate at which corrosion re-appears should do the trick. I used a waxy type of underseal on my Xantia calipers a few years ago. So far they're OK so I've given the C5 calipers the same treatment.
andy c5
My Cars:

Post by andy c5 »

Thanks guys,
When the pads were taken out and changed the old ones had been the wrong ones and over hung the disc :? so were not touching in one place on the face of the disc so had worn like this.

V
disc face ==
___________/ / this ridge not touching the disc :?
| pad /
----------------/
Thanks andy