Is this (photo) the Xantia clutch clip?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

citroenxm wrote:USE the open ended side because if yur bolt is slightly too long and goes upto the brake pedal BUT DOESNT meet it, you wont get yur spanner out again....
Now that would REALLY spoil your day :twisted:
Richard W
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Just to double check the arrangement of the spring, this photo is how I'm intending to assemble the parts:

I also believe this is how the parts came away from the bracket, with the spring on the left, and this is how Jim's exploded diagram shows the order of the spring etc.

What I find a little odd is that the spring pulls the lever to the floorpan - is that correct? I am supposing that it is correct, because the pedal, when the clip broke, hurtled to the floor like it really missed it! I'm presuming that the pdel is on the floor not just because of gravity but because the spring pulls it there, not the other way around and pushing the pedal upwards?

I know I've been asking lots of questions about this, but the trauma of undoing that bolt yesterday makes me shy from having to go through that more than is necessary.

Note that I have reversed the bolt.

Cheers.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

yup looks pretty much the crrect way to me...

Yes it holds the pedal TO the floor its to assist with pedal action in a round a bout sort of way..

IF All else is right, IE Clutch and cable, the clip should NOT break again as the plastic in the replacement clip is MUCH thicker and stronger...

So you should NOT be dooing it again, unless you really are unlucky...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
George

Post by George »

After doing many of these clutch cable clips, I have developed my method.

1. Hoover out the footwell and put down a clean bit of carpet to save head and back of your neck getting grubby.

2. Remove rear seat, this will allow the drivers seat to be reclined almost to the horizontal and will greatly improve the comfort of the operator whilst lying on his back. Takes only seconds to do with 13mm ratchet.

3. Visit toilet and empty bladder, I'm not kidding! Being upsidedown in the footwell of a xantia is not the time to find you're bursting for a leak.

4. Get a couple of those LCD headtorches, arrange them on your forehead.

5. Get a [b]straight/flat[/b] ratchet spanner as there is not much room between the pedals for those angled ones.

6. I use any old insulating tape to stick the nylon lock nut to the spanner.

Lastly take it slowly getting out of the footwell, all that blood to the head can make you giddy.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

All very good, sound advice George!

A very warm welcome to the forum :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...