2 questions about Xantia brake calipers?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

2 questions about Xantia brake calipers?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

1. Today I tried to fit new front brake pads to my 1998 Xantia,
whilst trying to screw in the piston turnning it clockwise it would
only travel in about half way, the piston still turns but does not
want to travel in any further.
I tried lowering the suspension to let the pressure off but this didn't
help at all.
I have changed the pads before several times and never come across
this problem before. fortunately there is some wear left on the old
pads so I have put them back in until I find an answer.

2. does anybody know please where I can buy the tool to wind in the
pistons other than a citroen garage at a reasonable price and what
the proper name for the tool might be?

Thanks In Advance. Regards nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Am doing my brakes currently. I found the pistons could be a little stiff and reluctant to go in. You have to turn clockwise whilst pushing the piston in I found. Have you tried this?

The tool is called a Caliper Rewind Tool. Available at most good factors. I just used an allen key with a long shank. Worked well.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Toby,

I tried pushing the piston in whilst turnning it and it was still reluctant to move, it was hard to get any kind of pressure on the piston to push it. I ususlly use the edge of a flat file to turn the piston and usually they don't need pushing they just screw in, thats why I don't really understand whats going on.

regards nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Nigel, GSF do the caliper rewind tool :wink: If you have one near by and want to enquire, make sure its not the mark 4 Golf one that they quote you on. Those are the most common ones we get asked for. We do list a specific one for Xantia's :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
falling-out-with-my-car

vince,

GSF ah ha found one in Northampton online, will give them a ring, thanx for that.

I will go for the tool, it sounds good that at least someone lists the cars it can be used on, in a short search online not many manufacturers list the vechicles.

regards nigel.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

lowering the suspension will not releave any presure at the brake calipers, it can help some times to just open the caliper bleed kniple and have a tube atatched to collect any fluid,

always unhook the cable and make sure the hand brake lever on the calliper is fully off before windding the pistons back

regards malcolm
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

When i did my Activa's pads recently the only way i could get the caliper pistons in just enough was to make sure the suspension was set to low - It worked for me!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
falling-out-with-my-car

citronut wrote:
always unhook the cable and make sure the hand brake lever on the calliper is fully off before windding the pistons back
Nope tried that and still no joy, can't help thinking maybe there's some dirt lodged behind the piston somehow, why should it be so easy to wind them back one year and the next year they don't want to move in far enough? do the seals expand over time? maybe that's the reason?
nice though it is the info on the caliper rewind tools is a bit vague it seems quite possiable to end up with the wrong tool for the Xantia.

regards nigel.