Citroen zx 1.9 td K Plate (Clutch Advice)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

abeez
My Cars:

Citroen zx 1.9 td K Plate (Clutch Advice)

Post by abeez »

Ok, firstly Hello...

Next, the last Citroen I owned was a Citroen GS Pallas Club, way back, blimey that was a good car in it's day, and very fast and responsive...

Any way moving on, recently bought a Zx (K) Plate, with 11+ months mot, tax 3+ months, 175,000 on the clock, VGC Body work etc, and knowing the clutch was slipping, took a chance and hoping it was cable, but ajusted that and really not that much diffrence.....

So A couple of Questions:

1. What should I expect to pay from an independent garage for a full clutch kit install?

2. I know I can buy a kit for around £45 to £50 ish, If I take this approach how easy are they to install, as I have looked at some Manuals and seems quite easy (But hey I have seen that expressed before)

Anyway would apreciate some pointers on my options, and the best route to take...

I bought this car as a stop gap, My Loving Vectra 2.0 TDI, is needing a fair bit for MOT after 3 years with straightforward MOT'S....

I Tried a search but can find nothing specific for a zx clutch...

Cheers Alan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum Alan :D

The ZX clutch job will be little different in principle to doing the same job in a Xantia. It's the same engine and gearbox..

have a read of this Blow by Blow Acount

It's not as bad as it sounds :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
abeez
My Cars:

Post by abeez »

Hi Jim.
Ah I looked at the post, didn't realise would be same.

Now the guide to me sounds a little daunting, can I also add the price of a zx kit, I am sure I had a look last night on saw them on I think Europarts for £49....... If they are £90+ with vat, it seems to me a costly job even if I was to attempt it myself, (Tools Ect) to get various parts off.......

Anyone give me some guidence on Independent Fitting for a full complete clutch? ( Have a feeling it's going to hurt) yeek....

Now beggining to have negative regrets with the clutch, as regards to final Price etc...

BTW (What happened to all the mechanics, that would do jobs for you on the side) so to speak.

When I lived in Cornwall (My home) I used a chap known as Irish Brian, for obvious reasons, he was ace anything you wanted doing he would do it.......... Brian take a trip to Crawley, lol......
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Ive been quoted £300ish to supply and fit a clutch on my Xantia 1.9td
Yes ouch :)

Colin
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I've been told about £200. So think £200 - 250.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
abeez
My Cars:

Post by abeez »

Hmmm, this is looking like I may have to use it as it is, and maybe attempt to sell it on........

Anyone tell me why Mr Clutch appears to have such a bad name?, it's just I read about them, not that I take note of all negatives, but hey I have to take in what's said about them, as I think there prices are the lowest. Of course not looked into what they actually replace, as we all know, while it's all out so to speak replace the complete kit......
Last edited by abeez on 22 Mar 2009, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Thank You.. Alan
Yep proud to be Cornish..
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its easier than on the Xantia as you don't have all the hydraulics to remove, but unless you are an experienced DIY'er, allow yourself a couple of days.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

abeez wrote:Hmmm, this is looking like I may have to use it as it is, and maybe attempt to sell it on........

Anyone tell me why Mr Clutch appears to have such a bad name?, it's just I read about them, not that I take note of all negatives, but hey I have to take in what's said about them, as I think there prices are the lowest. Of course not looked into what they actually replace, as we all know, while it's all out so to speak replace the complete kit......
+ve they are cheap

-ve I have heard of them rounding off every bolt in sight, bending gear linkages, damaging driveshaft seals, failing to replenish gearbox oil and generally creating carnage...

Far better DIY, I changed the clutch on my 205 (same BE3 gearbox) last year, and it wasn't a bad job. *However* someone (perhaps Mr Clutch :twisted: ) had been there before me and had overtightened the torx bolts that retain the clutch cover to the flywheel, to the point at which every one had been damaged, and I had to remove them with the 'weld on a bolt to the head and use molegrips' method, which was tedious. Given the propensity for these bolts to round, I would always recommend new ones are used when the clutch is replaced, it will only cost another fiver or so...
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
abeez
My Cars:

Post by abeez »

Ok, Am getting some confidence back on DIY:

Pricing Ok A few:

1. Buypartsby: https://sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/c ... ordID=1125
Make Citroen
Model ZX
Engine Size 1.9 Diesel
Year Mar-91 - Jun-97
Notes RP No: ->07785 Diameter [mm]: 200
Part Number LUK-620115000

All LUK Clutch Kits come with a 2 year warranty and are 100% brand new, no remanufactured parts are used
Price £52.69 ex VAT With Vat £60.59 (And delivery)

2.Ebay (There are a few there)
Heres one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-BX-XANTIA ... 10001r5905

Price £38 plus £8 Squid delivery.....

I guess list can go on.

So advice on what I should look for when buying clutch kits, like ones to stay away from?

Also I gather it's not as bad to do as someone mentioned compared to xantia, can someone give me a breakdown, of added parts I should replace?
Thank You.. Alan
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

firstly that ebay kit dose not mention DIESEL let alone TD, and at that price i would steer well clear, as it's not a 5min job to fit so if you cut to much on the cost of the parts you may well be doing the job again very soon,

i would usualy only go for firstly VALEO secondly LUK,

a good few years a go i fitted a clutch supplied by the customer, to get any clutch at all i had to take the adjustment right to the end of its thread,

have you checked GSF' price

regards malcolm
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I was about to recommend Malcolm to fit your clutch for you :)

at a push I could do it, I am not far from crawley

:)
John
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The correct one from Buypartsbuy is LUK-622160800 and costs £73.68 + VAT. The one for the 1.9D is a push clutch and won't fit the TD.

Haynes covers the change pretty well. Difficulties? The bottom ball joints can be a pain; the bolts for the air cleaner will be rusted up and have to be cut off; the long gear change lever will probably fall apart; at 170k someone has probably been there before, and overtightened the hub nuts, and mashed the RH driveshaft bolts; because of its age and mileage, the clutch release lever might be stuck on the shaft, necessitating cutting it off and replacing it; and the mounting stud in gear box might be tough to remove. Do-able in a day if you don't need any extra parts - but best with two people for getting the box in and out.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Richard you know all that will put the wind up Alan, dont want to scarte him off all together,

mind you i could do with the money

regards malcolm
abeez
My Cars:

Post by abeez »

Scare me off, Lol........ It's strange The last Citroen was a GSA Club, When I was in my prime, (And was hooked on them at that time) since I have had nothing but Vauxhalls, and a couple of fords.

Ok It looks like a friendly bunch here, and plenty of solid advice, I was going to sell the thing on again, but this was not the intention when I bought it knowing it's age and faults.

Faults:
Bad Bits:
Clutch
Heater fan switch (Been wired on a on/off switch) That melted today, The switch that is.
Car ariel that receives nothing (Just bought a screen one)
Done 170 thou (Hey it's a diesel and no smoke, just a little on start up first thing).

Good Parts
11 months mot
Taxed
Excellent body.....

Shoot what have I let myself in for, should of got my vectra done, still on my drive and I miss it.......

Ok who's up for a challenge, that can deal with replacement clutch?
Any offers welcome.....
Thank You.. Alan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

We're all of us here to offer all the advice we can Alan...

Have a word with Malcolm (citronut) as he is not far from you and you can be sure of a great job at a great price with Malcolm doing it :D

Great top see you're a proud Cornishman. I was born and bred down that way but not quite so far south. I'm a Somerset yokel who's been up here in exile for many years now :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...