Since I'm a 'newbie' I need your help people

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Gillies
My Cars:

Since I'm a 'newbie' I need your help people

Post by John Gillies »

<font color="green"><font size="2"><font face="Arial">I have a BX 1.9 TXD. I overfilled the oil level ( by quite a bit I might add) Smoke and oil was blasting out of the exhaust. I then drained off most of the excess ( by taking off the oil filter and running the car causing the oil to flow through)
Unfortunately I now have the '!' light and 'STOP' light on the dashboard coming on constantly. I've lost my power steering and to top it all my hydraulics don't seem to be working at all. What have I done ? and more importantly, how can I fix it ?
BTW: The oil level indicator on the top left of the dash seems to sit at low when the engine is running but when I first start her up the needle swings to full. I need help guys....please.</font id="Arial"></font id="size2"></font id="green">[:(]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, I would have a quick check to make sure your alternator belt still exists.
On the Xantia, this drives the Hydraulic pump as well as the alternator.
The ! could also mean low pressure in the Hydraulics, you didn't undo the bleed screw on the accumulator, or knock a hose off the 'octopus' did you ?
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

BTW: The oil level indicator on the top left of the dash seems to sit at low when the engine is running but when I first start her up the needle swings to full. I need help guys....please
On my BX GTi the oil gauge was a level indicator when turning on the ignition, and then when the engine was running, it became the oil pressure gauge. Hope this helps.
Jamie
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

John
firstly let me put your mind at rest about the oil level gauge. it is meant to indicate the level when you switch on prior to starting and then, since measuring the oil level with the oil circuulating would be pointless, the thing conveniently retires from further action, the white backlight goes out and the needle goes back to the rest position at the left of the dial. This instrument is used as far as I know on all diesels, (certainly my TD) but the GTI and 16valve were fitted witha better unit that doubled as an oil pressure gauge when the initial startup sequence had passed. These are easily recognised as they are calibrated (in bars I believe).
Your hydraulics are driven from a pulley on the 'inside' end of the camshaft. Is this belt tight and free of oil? As M.bunting suggests have you accidentally undone the bleed screw (12mm bolt on regulator - immediately behind the radiator in the centre of the car at the base of the sphere.) If you have tighten it but don't wrench its head off. Don't remove it as there is a ball bearing under it which will fall out.
Incidentally the pump belt should be extremely tight.
If the belt and bolt are both OK please post again.
Jeremy
John Gillies
My Cars:

Post by John Gillies »

Morning to you all and a HUGE thanks for the feedback ( It's nice to know I'm not alone out there.
I will check the belt etc and let you guys know tomorrow morning. As far as the 'bleed' screw is concerned, I don't think I touch that but I will check it out.
Thanks again and I will keep you posted. ( Just in case I need more of your guidance....which is more than likely )
Have a great day and I hope all is well in your world.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Gillies</i>

<font color="green"><font size="2"><font face="Arial"> I then drained off most of the excess ( by taking off the oil filter and running the car causing the oil to flow through)</font id="Arial"></font id="size2"></font id="green">[:(]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not exactly the reccomended way to lower the oil level.
Did you do that with the engine running? If so there will have been no oil getting where it is needed. Plus you will likely have got oil all over the place. The hydraulic drive belt is not far away so there is a fair chance you got some on there.
It would have been a better idea to use the drain plug, let a bit out then stuff the plug back in. But that's 20:20 hindsight for you.