Electric Mirrors Indexing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Electric Mirrors Indexing

Post by rory_perrett »

The passenger side electric mirror has packed up on my Xantia Hdi Exclusive. It doesn't adjust electrically nor does the auto indexing work when you put it into reverse. The driver’s side (which of course doesn’t have auto indexing) adjusts fine. Applying 12v to the connector at the mirror end makes the motors work and it moves. Changing the switch on the driver’s door armrest didn't fix the problem so the next port of call will be to swap the ECU control unit. Question is, does anyone know where this little box of tricks is located? There is a black box on the passenger side door shown in photo 18.3 and 19.7 in chapter 12 of the BOL referred to as the “electric window control unit.” Is that really what it is or is it the mirror controller?

Cheers
Rory
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The mirror index controller is indeed located in the door Rory.

I don't know if this will help but here's a diagram of the indexing mirror fitted to a V6 Auto. It's not 100% applicable but should give the general gist..

Indexing Mirror Circuit
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Is it not more likely to be a broken wire in the door shut?

Does the mirror still heat?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The box mounted in the door is the ECU, if you compare the wiring diagram for indexing mirrors with the standard mirrors, you will see that the reversing light wire is the only extra wire going to the door.
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Thanks guys.

Reblack68, it does still heat and you are probably right about a broken wire however as I currently have a complete set of spares swapping switches and black boxes isn't costing me anything and is quicker and easier than trying to track down a broken wire.

Rory
rory_perrett

Electric Mirrors Indexing Problem - now fixed

Post by rory_perrett »

As Xantia_V6 said, the little black box that Mr Haynes calls a window controller is the mirror controller. Swapped it over with the one out of the other car and everything is working again. Computer fault not a broken wire thank goodness! Really didn't fancy trying to find a broken wire. It must only control the passenger side because the drivers side mirror has worked fine all the time.
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Sorry to drag an old thread back up - My V6 has just started playing up with passenger mirror, moves left and right but not up and down with the switch. Driver side fine.

Engaging reverse makes the bloody thing point at the kurb too, really useful when trying to back a trailer!!!

Ideas on where to start?
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD