Donethebroken clutch clip job.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gotanothergrot

Donethebroken clutch clip job.

Post by gotanothergrot »

New to forum, and fairly new to Citroen's, HI.

Just done the broken clutch clip job on my xantia hdi.
Oh no!! big job and me only a armature do my homework first and read up on this forum ect,

All went together OK

Only problem if found was that the pedal was a bit sloppy when the bolt went back in, pity as i was almost there, :?, what to do? there must have been a nylon bush of some sort in there and i wasn't going to leave it like that with all that play in there.
solution was to find some kind of ferrule, and slip a steel washer in also as. With a piece steel tube cut lengthwise and squeezed re cut squeezed until a sliding fit was obtained, hey presto, no more slack. washer in, bolt in, job done.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forum gotanothergrot. Success proir to posting, way to go!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and a warm welcome from me too :D

Well done on doing the clutch clip :D :D It's recognised as a right horrible job and everyone who has done one deserves a big round of applause =D> =D> =D>

With regard to the sloppiness, have a look at this (admittedly poor) picture. It could be Item 8 perhaps.

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gotanothergrot

Post by gotanothergrot »

What i think i replaced was something like 8 and 9 minus the flange on 8 which i used a steel washer instead.
Thanks for the diagram. :)
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I thought the HDi didn't have the cable. I was led to believe it is hydraulic :?
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Toby_HDi wrote:I thought the HDi didn't have the cable. I was led to believe it is hydraulic :?
The 110 HDi (like yours) is hydraulic Toby, having the ML5 gearbox. The HDi 90 is cable operated as it uses the BE3 'box.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

CitroJim wrote:The 110 HDi (like yours) is hydraulic Toby, having the ML5 gearbox. The HDi 90 is cable operated as it uses the BE3 'box.
Ahh yes, of course! I forgot the 90 uses the BE3 :oops:

Thanks Jim
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

CitroJim wrote:Hi and a warm welcome from me too :D

Well done on doing the clutch clip :D :D It's recognised as a right horrible job and everyone who has done one deserves a big round of applause =D> =D> =D>

With regard to the sloppiness, have a look at this (admittedly poor) picture. It could be Item 8 perhaps.

Jim, what is the relationship between 5 (the metal clip) and two (the plastic part) and 6/the cable nipple?

Does the cable end pass through 2 on it's way to the pedal and is help there by 5?

Also, how does 2 connect to the pedal itself?

On 2, at least the one I have here, a new one, there seems to be some kind of pin that looks like it might travel sideways into the main body of 2 - is this correct, please?

Or will my questions be answered when I crawl under the dash?

I'd like to be armed with the tools I need. Am I going to need some poweful grips to close that 'pin' on 2?

Tim
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Almost unbelievely the metal part is what actually holds the cable! it clips onto the plastic part, then the end of the cable with the nipple on it passes into the plastic bit, then you can push it through the metal part which springs back behind the nipple and holds it. You should probably push the cable into the plastic bit then slide the metal bit on, but that would be a righ pain, so I just clipped it onto the cable.

Yes, the pin on the side of the plastic bit holds it into the pedal. It was tight, so I sqeezed it shut in the vice. Sure if you are doing an away from home job you will think of something (stand on it?)!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Right Tim, the metal clip (5) pops over the plastic bit and slides down the groove in the plastic bit (2) just behind where yours broke. It's a split clip basically and it holds the clutch cable nipple in the clip. In fact, the while clutch "pull" is taken on the metal clip. That it lasts at all is amazing :o

The pedal end of the clutch cable has a conical, bullet shaped nipple and that pushes up the tube of the clip and as it pushes up, it splays the metal clip and then the metal clip springs behind the nipple and holds it fast.

Now, I found it best to attach the new clip to the pedal on the bench. With reference to my photo of a new clip, you'll see a plastic peg poking out the side. This is the pedal pivot and the peg needs to be gently pressed in with the clip in place on the end of the pedal. I tapped it home using a small plastic-faced mallet.

Offer the pedal back up but don't put the pivot bolt in. Get an assistant to sharply push the other (gearbox) end of the cable inner until the pedal-end nipple clicks home and is held fast by the metal clip. It needs one to hold the pedal steady and the other to give the incable inner quite a sharp push to get the nipple to engage and click in place.

There are myriad methods of clicking the nipple home but that one was the one that worked for me.

When you have the pedal out, it'll all make more sense.

Take care to get the bushes and spring (items 7, 8 and 9) back in the right paces and the spring in the right way.
Jim

Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

RichardW - so to be able to pinch that pin tight, the pdeal is away from its location in the car?

I have a portable vice.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry Richard, you and I both typing at the same time :oops:
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yep, once you have removed the bolt, the pedal comes away and you can fit the new clip on the bench.

If you've got a straight run home you can always start the car in gear and drive it home.
Richard W
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

! I think we were all typing at the same time! Hope you didn't think I was ignoring your post until this morning Jim.

Ok, I think I pretty mch have the idea, but there is just one thing... the cable at the other end in the engine bay, I know this might sound like a daft question, and being me... but where do I find the end? I presume it's on the right hand side somewhere, lower down, can you give me a pointer to it please?

Tim
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Just having a look in the BoL, ch.6.2-6.3, and it's only the vaguest of instructions on re-fitting the cable into the plastic part, but that's ok, I get that, what there isn't, in the BoL is a clear indication of where under the bonnet I might find the cable end.

I'm guessing that I shall trace the cable from the bulkhead back to this point. Is the amount of force required to mov the cable back that which is being exerted by the clutch plates? ie: quite a lot?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ