Xantia Electric Window Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroDane
My Cars:

Xantia Electric Window Problem

Post by citroDane »

Hi all,
The passenger side electric window on my 99 Xantia stopped working the other day. So
I took the whole mechanism apart and saw the plastic slide (the one sitting on the rail
and is pulled by the cable and has a pin hooking up to the window glass) is broken.

Easy I thought. Shouldn’t cost me more than a few cents to get this baby replaced. Wrong!!!
Citroen doesn’t sell this part individually but offers the whole mechanism with the motor, reek,
rail and everything for a nifty sum of ca. 280 € here in Croatia!

Now I thought of buying a block of hard plastic and make my own. But the design looks
complicated with compound / angled surfaces and the window glass pin is also sitting on the
backside of the slide piece with a small angle.

Has anybody done this or found another way of getting around buying a complete window kit
loosing an arm and a log in the process?

Thanks in advance,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

try sourcing one from a breakers yard.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
arkweld
My Cars: Xantia Activa

Post by arkweld »

As you've taken the mechanism apart , i expect ebay to be a good source . The mend could be http://www.carsoffrance.com.au/index.ph ... od_id=3049
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

Thanks fellows.
I'll try ebay and the breakers yards down here as well.

Cheers,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Gabriel,
I have had the same problem with my window winder. The problem I had after finding the broken plastic clip was the cable in the drum had overrun, making the whole thing useless. This was caused by my daughter trying to operate the window after said plastic piece had broken. It might be worth checking this out before attempting to make a new part.

I jammed the window shut because the winders are like hens teeth second hand and I couldn't justify the £80 for a new 1...

Hope this helps.
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

Hi Martin,
Wow. Thanks a lot for the warning on the cable. Mine has also overrun in the drum but I didn't think the thing would be useless due to the overrun. I thought once I had the plastic clip I'd just wind it back up in place -as in fixing it. Damn it!
My overrun was caused by me...first time for me so I didn't know any better!
So basically you say the whole mechanism is a goner now?

I've taped my window to the door...I originally thought this would need to get me to the dealer and back -with the part- and off it would come. Boy I was wrong. You're right about these things 2nd hand...I guess I'll just put a stick or something under the window glass in the door to keep it shut for good! :cry:

Thanks a lot,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Gabriel,

Don't right it off, You may be able to pull the cable through with patience. When I tried to pull mine the cable was stuck fast. I can't remember if the drum can be opened, however that may be opening a can of worms.

I took the door panel off and used 2 pieces of wood with a groove in the top piece to locate on the bottom of the window. With the assistance of a helper or if your lucky enough to have a third hand, push the widow firmly up and then put a few self tappers in to hold the wood in the right place.

Hope this helps.
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

Hi Martin,
Thanks. I'll try to see if I can fix the cable before going on looking for a new clip (which looks pretty hopeless btw).

Cheers,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215