HDI's and Autos - Opinions please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

HDI's and Autos - Opinions please

Post by vince »

People,

My wife is going to learn to drive this year......and she wants to drive an auto.

After having an auto for a couple of years a while back (not a citroen though) Im quite fond of autos. I dont agree with the "its not real driving" thing as this is often quoted by either people who have not driven an auto, or people who drive cars with little performance pedigree and so its largely irrelevant anyway.

Soapbox aside, i realise that autos seem to be more readily available on facelifted Xantia than on earlier ones like mine. TBH i prefer the front end on the earlier ones so if one comes up then it would get a look in :wink:

If i ended up getting a facelifted version then i would no doubt end up with a HDI, which to be honest im a bit scared of :lol: I dont know what they are like reliability wise, cost effective maintenance wise compared to the 1.9TD lumps in the earlier Xantias. I know they are meant to be better on mpg?

What are your opinions people on the HDI's and autoboxes....?

I must admit the thought of a lower mileage diesel with an autobox, A/C and leather does "do it" for me. :P
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If you're after a diesel Xantia with an auto box then you'll have the choice of a pre-facelift 1.9D non turbo slug mobile, I've had experience of that combo in a ZX and "performance" was painful so I dread to think of what its like in the heavier Xantia. Alternatively a facelift Xantia diesel auto will have the 1.9TD engine, no HDi was available with an auto box in a Xantia.

HDi's are great engines, especially the 110bhp versions, reliability wise they're fine, servicing is 10,000 miles rather than 6,000 on XUD's, and fuel consumption wise I get 50mpg out of my HDi estate compared with 43mpg for my TD saloon.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Seems odd they never did an HDi Auto :?

The earlier cars used the ZF 4HP14 'box and this was a good old hydromechanical (no electronics) and is pretty reliable. The later models used the AL4 'box which is a baby version of the 4HP20 used in the V6 and subject to all the same sort of issues. The AL4 is a fully electronic auto-adaptive affair.

When buying an auto, some service history with evidence of regular gearbox oil changes would be a huge advantage. If you look at one with over 100K on the clock, the 'box may have it's "time bomb" ticking.

I'm looking forward to driving my auto but I still have to fix it :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Thanks guys,

over 100K with its time bomb ticking?.....that doesnt sound good considering most in my price range will have 100K plus most probably :cry:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Manual gearboxes are a distraction when you have to keep your mind on the traffic.
Current automatic boxes have low slip, and lock in top gear … I’m getting 31 mpg with the 2.0i petrol engine.
Nearly 200,000 km without any problem, and no clutches or synchronizers to wear or break.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389